Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, October 22, 2010

Everybody’s Working for the Weekend...

It’s FFFFFRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Tomorrow is the Memory Walk. There’s still time to give. Big thanks to all who have already given. I can’t wait for all the numbers to come in so I can let you know how we did.

Last night was GREAT! First, our seats were down on the ice (well, they were on a wooden floor that was set up on the ice). It looked like Mary Ruth had a great time... and that’s really what I wanted. My weakness, if indeed I have a weakness, is that I spoil my children. I entered the building with a set amount of cash and by the end of the night I had but a small percentage left in my pockets. As a business person, I must tip my hat to Mr. Disney for finding a number of ways to separate me from my money. Everyone left the event with a smile on their face, so it was worth the money spent. My girls should just be happy they don’t have my parents as parents. Things were different for me growing up. Don’t get me wrong... my parents weren’t awful... they provided me with a pillow, blanket, and a nice soft carpet to sleep on. They were kind enough to keep Sonny’s clothes around so that I would have something to wear. (***NOTE: “Ok, Greg,” you’re thinking, “Aren’t you doing the same thing with your girls?” Yes, I am. But, my girls are a little under five years apart... that’s not so bad. Sonny grew up in the ‘70s... I grew up in the ‘80s... surf the internet one day and then tell me if clothing styles from the ‘70s were still “in” during the ‘80s. I rest my case.***END NOTE). Haha... I’m just kidding. My parents were nice to me growing up. They never forgot to feed me (interesting note... the majority of my weight was gained while living under their roof). Anyway, for whatever reason, I can’t help buy spoil my girls (including The Wife).

Susie is sick today. I hope she gets better in time for her party on Sunday!

Hey it’s Friday, so you know what that means.... Time to pick some football games.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions

Friday Night
James Island at Fort Dorchester – I went to JI. The Wife went to Fort Dorchester. I’m picking JI to win by 14.

Summerville vs. Ashley Ridge – I think this should be another good game. Ashley Ridge would love nothing more than to stick it to the big bad Summerville. I’m sure it will happen one year... but not this year. Summerville by 10.

Dorman at JL Mann – Word on the street is the Dorman feeder system has some of the best paid coaches in the state. I think that investment is going to help the “Cavaliers” in the future. I also think the future is now... I’m picking Dorman by 8.

Saturday
#19 USC at Vanderbilt 7:00pm (FSN) – Some things have taken place this week (thank you, Danny) that lead me to believe The Revolutionary War Heroes are going to be able to bounce back from their loss at Kentucky this week with a win over Vanderbilt. Garcia still doesn’t have a good SEC road record (0 wins) but the Law of Averages says he’s going to win a road SEC game... might as well be this one. I’m picking USC by 6.

Clemson vs. Georgia Tech 3:30pm (ABC) – The Tigers had a good game last week... now they host The Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech with Paul Johnson and his option offense. I have no idea which Clemson team will show up... but I’m going to pick the Tigers to win by 3.

Navy vs. Notre Dame 12:00pm (CBS) – Navy has OWNED Notre Dame these past few years. Navy seems to be a little down this season... so Notre Dame might have a shot. But I don’t think so. I’m picking Navy by 3.

CSU vs. VMI 11:30am (SportSouth) – The Bucs are still looking for their first Big South win of the year. I think they’ll get it this Saturday. CSU by 6.

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Miami 1:00pm (CBS... not sure if it’ll be on in this area, but I sure hope it is) – Hope the Steelers set some money aside, because there’s going to be some heavy hitting in this one. Both teams are coming off of a win... but only the Steelers are leaving with a win. I’m picking Pittsburgh by 13.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant John F. Baker, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 5, 1966 in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. En route to assist another unit that was engaged with the enemy, Company A came under intense enemy fire and the lead man was killed instantly. Sgt. Baker immediately moved to the head of the column and together with another soldier knocked out 2 enemy bunkers. When his comrade was mortally wounded, Sgt. Baker, spotting 4 Viet Cong snipers, killed all of them, evacuated the fallen soldier and returned to lead repeated assaults against the enemy positions, killing several more Viet Cong. Moving to attack 2 additional enemy bunkers, he and another soldier drew intense enemy fire and Sgt. Baker was blown from his feet by an enemy grenade. He quickly recovered and single-handedly destroyed 1 bunker before the other soldier was wounded. Seizing his fallen comrade's machine gun, Sgt. Baker charged through the deadly fusillade to silence the other bunker. He evacuated his comrade, replenished his ammunition and returned to the forefront to brave the enemy fire and continue the fight. When the forward element was ordered to withdraw, he carried 1 wounded man to the rear. As he returned to evacuate another soldier, he was taken under fire by snipers, but raced beyond the friendly troops to attack and kill the snipers. After evacuating the wounded man, he returned to cover the deployment of the unit. His ammunition now exhausted, he dragged 2 more of his fallen comrades to the rear. Sgt. Baker's selfless heroism, indomitable fighting spirit, and extraordinary gallantry were directly responsible for saving the lives of several of his comrades, and inflicting serious damage on the enemy. His acts were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Sergeant Thomas A. Baker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from June 19 - July 7, 1944 at Saipan, Mariana Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty at Saipan, Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. When his entire company was held up by fire from automatic weapons and small-arms fire from strongly fortified enemy positions that commanded the view of the company, Sgt. (then Pvt.) Baker voluntarily took a bazooka and dashed alone to within 100 yards of the enemy. Through heavy rifle and machinegun fire that was directed at him by the enemy, he knocked out the strong point, enabling his company to assault the ridge. Some days later while his company advanced across the open field flanked with obstructions and places of concealment for the enemy, Sgt. Baker again voluntarily took up a position in the rear to protect the company against surprise attack and came upon 2 heavily fortified enemy pockets manned by 2 officers and 10 enlisted men which had been bypassed. Without regard for such superior numbers, he unhesitatingly attacked and killed all of them. Five hundred yards farther, he discovered 6 men of the enemy who had concealed themselves behind our lines and destroyed all of them. On 7 July 1944, the perimeter of which Sgt. Baker was a part was attacked from 3 sides by from 3,000 to 5,000 Japanese. During the early stages of this attack, Sgt. Baker was seriously wounded but he insisted on remaining in the line and fired at the enemy at ranges sometimes as close as 5 yards until his ammunition ran out. Without ammunition and with his own weapon battered to uselessness from hand-to-hand combat, he was carried about 50 yards to the rear by a comrade, who was then himself wounded. At this point Sgt. Baker refused to be moved any farther stating that he preferred to be left to die rather than risk the lives of any more of his friends. A short time later, at his request, he was placed in a sitting position against a small tree . Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sgt. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining 8 rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him. His deeds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.

First Lieutenant Vernon Baker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 5 – 6, 1945 near Viareggio, Italy. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism in action on 5 and 6 April 1945, near Viareggio, Italy. Then Second Lieutenant Baker demonstrated outstanding courage and leadership in destroying enemy installations, personnel and equipment during his company's attack against a strongly entrenched enemy in mountainous terrain. When his company was stopped by the concentration of fire from several machine gun emplacements, he crawled to one position and destroyed it, killing three Germans. Continuing forward, he attacked and enemy observation post and killed two occupants. With the aid of one of his men, Lieutenant Baker attacked two more machine gun nests, killing or wounding the four enemy soldiers occupying these positions. He then covered the evacuation of the wounded personnel of his company by occupying an exposed position and drawing the enemy's fire. On the following night Lieutenant Baker voluntarily led a battalion advance through enemy mine fields and heavy fire toward the division objective. Second Lieutenant Baker's fighting spirit and daring leadership were an inspiration to his men and exemplify the highest traditions of the Armed Forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment