Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Talkin’ USC and The Big South

Before we get started, I feel I must remind you that the Memory Walk is coming up soon.  If you have not already given, please do so NOW!  Listen, I'm a nice guy... but if more people don't start giving then things might get ugly.  This ain't church... I have no problem calling people out.  I know what you're thinking, "Is he kidding or is he not kidding?"  Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I'm not real sure myself.  But, being as this is I'm just sayin..., the most powerful blog in the world, and would blow your mind, you've got to ask yourself one question:  "Do I feel lucky?".  Well, do ya?  

Did you see the Chilean miners are being rescued from the mine they have been trapped in for the past couple of months? No word yet on when Brooks Conrad will be heading into the mine.

I saw this poll question: What’s a bigger win for USC... the baseball team winning the College World Series or the football team beating then-#1 Alabama? Listen, I know football is king, but I don’t think it’s any contest... it HAS to be winning the College World Series. I mean, that made the USC baseball team THE CHAMPIONS. They ain’t givin the football team rings for beating Alabama.

They aren’t giving the football team rings for beating Alabama, right?

Don’t get me wrong, it was a great win... but I’d take a championship.

I know I have some fans of the Revolutionary War Heroes reading this... I need a ticket to the Navy game next year. I believe the game is on September 17, 2011.

A ride to the game would be nice, too.

Better make it 2 tickets... Jeremy might want to come, too.

I promise not to wear a “Remember 1984” t-shirt.

I’m thinking of taking a year off from being a NBA fan.

The Big South Media Day was yesterday and the preseason picks are:

Coastal Carolina
Winthrop
UNC Asheville
Presbyterian
High Point
Liberty
Charleston Southern
VMI
Radford
Gardner-Webb

All-Conference: High Point’s Nick Barbour (Preseason POY), CSU’s Jamarco Warren, Coastal’s Chad Gray, PC’s Al’Lonzo Coleman, and VMI’s Austin Kenon

I don’t believe in this kind of thing for three reasons. #1 Jeremy and I weren’t invited to attend as part of the media. As you know, Jeremy runs a highly successful message board (winthropfans.com) and I, of course, have this blog (and I help with the message board). #2 A few years ago Chris Gaynor was left off the first team all conference team at the end of the season... and the Big South has yet to issue a public apology for this (even after I wrote demanding one). #3 That same year Mantoris Robinson was cheated out of the Defensive Player of the Year award... and again, the Big South has ignored my calls for a public apology.

For what it’s worth (and I’m pretty sure it’s worth more than the Big South thinks), here is how I would vote:

Winthrop
Coastal Carolina
UNC Asheville
Presbyterian
Charleston Southern
High Point
Liberty
VMI
Radford
Gardner-Webb

First Team All-Conference: Winthrop’s Reggie Middleton (POY), High Point’s Nick Barbour, CSU’s Jamarco Warren, Coastal’s Chad Gray, and Winthrop’s Matt Morgan

Team most likely to go on probation in the near future: Coastal Carolina

And we at I’m just sayin... would like to tip our hats to the Texas Rangers for their clubhouse celebration after their win over the Tampa Bay Rays. They doused teammate (and recovering alcoholic) Josh Hamilton with ginger ale. It’s good to see teammates looking after one another.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Chief Machinist’s Mate William Badders (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 13, 1939 at sea following the sinking of the USS Squalus. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession during the rescue and salvage operations following the sinking of the U.S.S. Squalus on 13 May 1939. During the rescue operations, Badders, as senior member of the rescue chamber crew, made the last extremely hazardous trip of the rescue chamber to attempt to rescue any possible survivors in the flooded after portion of the Squalus. He was fully aware of the great danger involved in that if he and his assistant became incapacitated, there was no way in which either could be rescued. During the salvage operations, Badders made important and difficult dives under the most hazardous conditions. His outstanding performance of duty contributed much to the success of the operations and characterizes conduct far above and beyond the ordinary call of duty.

Ensign Oscar Charles Badger (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 21 & 22, 1914 at Vera Cruz. His citation reads:

For distinguished conduct in battle, engagements of Vera Cruz, 21 and 22 April 1914. Ens. Badger was in both days' fighting at the head of his company, and was eminent and conspicuous in his conduct, leading his men with skill and courage.

Second Lieutenant Albert E. Baesel (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 27, 1918 in France. His citation reads:

Upon hearing that a squad leader of his platoon had been severely wounded while attempting to capture an enemy machinegun nest about 200 yards in advance of the assault line and somewhat to the right, 2d Lt. Baesel requested permission to go to the rescue of the wounded corporal. After thrice repeating his request and permission having been reluctantly given, due to the heavy artillery, rifle, and machinegun fire, and heavy deluge of gas in which the company was at the time, accompanied by a volunteer, he worked his way forward, and reaching the wounded man, placed him upon his shoulders and was instantly killed by enemy fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment