Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Is it Tuesday already?

Let me start by thanking all of my friends and family who were able to attend Susie’s first birthday party. There were a group of our friends (8… 4 couples) who went to Clemson for the weekend together. We at I’m just sayin… would like to thank the one couple who made it back in time for the party. They know who they are. To the others, don’t worry… Susie was so hopped up on Tylenol that she didn’t notice.

Sonny couldn’t make it because he was preaching that Sunday.

Doubting Teri couldn’t make it because she didn’t believe me when I told her about the party.

Mary Ruth told me the other day that she misses MaMa. I do too.

Just watched The Blind Side with The Wife last night. It was pretty good… but don’t tell The Wife I said that. I still think the book is better (the book is always better... unless there is nudity involved, but I digress). I will say Sandra Bullock was great. This was probably her best role. I didn’t realize the clip of LT breaking Joe Theismann’s leg was going to be shown. That’s something you need to be prepared to see. Even then... you’re never prepared to see it. LT has said he’ll never watch a video of it. I don’t blame him. (***True Story: About 5 years ago I went to a Steelers game with my friend Dumpy and his dad and another friend. It was a Sunday night game. We’re sitting in a bar in Pittsburgh during the day just watching the afternoon games. We see a guy up by the TV’s who looks a lot like Joe Theismann. Holy Crap... it IS Joe Theismann... isn’t it? We’re pretty sure, but can you ever really be sure? Well, yes. You see, we’re sitting there and he starts to walk by and as he does Dumpy’s dad says [and I quote] “Hey...” as he waves him over to us “These fellas here think you’re Joe Theismann. Is that true?” “Yes sir, I am” Joe says... with a somewhat amused look on his face that says I can’t believe I just walked over here... I’m Joe F%#*ing Theismann. Anyway, Dumpy’s dad reaches out and shakes Joe’s hand and introduces himself and then introduces the rest of us. Joe shook all of our hands and talked to us for a little bit about the game on TV and about the Steelers game that night. He was great. Perhaps he noticed the somewhat amused looks on our faces that said I can’t believe Joe F%#*ing Theismann just walked over to our table to talk to us.***). Anyway, it was a good movie.

That movie inspired me… I now want to adopt a great 3 point shooting point guard (who will eventually play for Winthrop). Just kidding… maybe.

Speaking of best roles... Tombstone was on the other night. Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday has to be one of the best roles ever. I mean, he was great. Kurt Russell was also great as Wyatt Earp.

I wonder if Giants linebacker Michael Boley had a “Wyatt Earp” moment last night? After knocking Tony Romo out of the game, did he look at Jon Kitna and say, “All right, Kitna... You called down the thunder. Well, now you've got it! You see that? It says 'New York Giants.'... Take a good look at him (pointing to Romo), Jon, because that's how you're gonna end up!... The Cowboys are finished, you understand me?! I see a blue star, I kill the man wearin' it! So run, you cur... RUN! Tell all the other curs our Defense is coming! You tell 'em I'M coming... and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! Hell's coming with me!"

So far all the talk last week about the NFL seems to be all for nothing. I don’t know if they’ll ever get hard hits out of the game (see above talk about Romo). They just need to make sure the hits are clean hits.

I once saw Brian Dawkins hit a guy so hard that I almost got knocked-out.

If a defensive player can be fined for a “devastating” hit, can an offensive player be fined for a “devastating” block (or a helmet to helmet block)? I would hope so.

There are still some donations coming in for the Memory Walk, so I’m going to hold off another day or two before I announce how much we brought in.

An old friend of I’m just sayin... passed away this past weekend. Dr. Felix Nepveux III was my Dad’s dentist growing up and sang in my Mom’s choir at John’s Island Presbyterian Church many years ago. More importantly (to me, at least) is that he was always nice to me and always able to make me laugh. I spent many a Wednesday night in my younger years going out to an old, somewhat scary (especially at night) church with my Mom for her choir practices. Back then, her choir was really more a small ensemble consisting of a few women and usually two men. It was small enough that on Sunday afternoons when we’d meet Mom for lunch, she would tell us how many men she had in the choir that day. Anyway, her choir would always look out for me on those Wednesday nights and that’s something I’ll never forget. But back to Dr. Nepveux... I didn’t realize until reading his obit in the paper... he was in the Navy. Not only that, he was attached to the 5th Marines during the Chosin Reservoir campaign. If only I’d known then what I know now... wow. I’ve read about what the Marines had to go through there. Let me tell you, you read about that and you’ll realize you have no idea what a “bad day” really is. I HIGHLY recommend you read Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign – Korea 1950 by Martin Russ.

The I’m just sayin... Football Predictions Results

Friday Night
James Island at Fort Dorchester – I went with JI. I was right. JI won 28-21.

Summerville vs. Ashley Ridge – I picked Summerville. Right again! Summerville won 35-0.

Dorman at JL Mann – I picked Dorman, and I was right. Dorman won 35-7.

Saturday
#19 USC at Vanderbilt 7:00pm – I went with USC on this one and I made the right call. The Revolutionary War Heroes won 21-7.

Clemson vs. Georgia Tech 3:30pm – The game wasn’t as close as I thought it would be. But I made a good call when I picked Clemson to win. The Tigers stuck it to The Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech, 27-13. (***To be fair, when making my picks I didn’t realize good friend of I’m just sayin... Danny was going to be at the game. Danny, as I’m sure you will remember, is a long-time fan of the Revolutionary War Heroes... yet he was at a Clemson game... on IPTAY Day. Hmmm... We have our people looking into the possibility that Danny is a closet IPTAY donor. One person we spoke to at Susie’s birthday party yesterday was “very disappointed” that Danny bailed on USC after the Kentucky loss and went to a Clemson game.***).

Navy vs. Notre Dame 12:00pm – The only mistake I made, was thinking Notre Dame could keep it close. I picked Navy to win... and I was RIGHT! Navy won 35-17. And no, I did not get to see this game. The local CBS station was carrying the Duke/VA Tech game. I need not tell you how mad I was.

CSU vs. VMI 11:30am – I thought the Bucs would get the win. I thought wrong. CSU lost 16-34.

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Miami 1:00pm – I picked The Steelers to win, and I was right. Pittsburgh won 23-22.

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Pharmacist’s Mate First Class John Henry Balch (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 19 and October 5, 1918 at Vierzy, France and Somme-Py, France. His citation reads:

For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty, with the 6th Regiment, U.S. Marines, in action at Vierzy, on 19 July 1918. Balch unhesitatingly and fearlessly exposed himself to terrific machinegun and high-explosive fire to succor the wounded as they fell in the attack, leaving his dressing station voluntarily and keeping up the work all day and late into the night unceasingly for 16 hours. Also in the action at Somme-Py on 5 October 1918, he exhibited exceptional bravery in establishing an advanced dressing station under heavy shellfire.

Coal Heaver Charles Baldwin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 25, 1864 on board the USS Wyalusing. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Wyalusing and participating in a plan to destroy the rebel ram Albermarle in Roanoke River, 25 May 1864. Volunteering for the hazardous mission, C.H. Baldwin participated in the transfer of 2 torpedoes across an island swamp. Weighted by a line which was used to transfer the torpedoes, he swam the river and, when challenged by a sentry, was forced to abandon the plan after erasing its detection and before it could be carried to completion. Escaping the fire of the muskets, C.H. Baldwin spent 2 days and nights of hazardous travel without food, and finally arrived, fatigued, at the mother ship.

First Lieutenant Frank D. Baldwin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 8, 1874 at McClellans Creek, Texas. His citation reads:

Rescued, with 2 companies, 2 white girls by a voluntary attack upon Indians whose superior numbers and strong position would have warranted delay for reinforcements, but which delay would have permitted the Indians to escape and kill their captives. FIRST AWARD Led his company in a countercharge at Peach Tree Creek, Ga., 12 July 1864, under a galling fire ahead of his own men, and singly entered the enemy's line, capturing and bringing back 2 commissioned officers, fully armed, besides a guidon of a Georgia regiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment