Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, August 15, 2011

Congrats Susan!!!!!!!!!!

BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!


The Wife and I are getting iPhones. But more on that later… In other news, we at I’m just sayin… would like to extend our very happy congratulations to our cousin Susan and her now fiancé Bryan. We are happy because we like Bryan and because we didn’t want something to happen to them causing us to feel like we’d wasted the last 8 or 9 years of our lives trying to remember his name :). Haha… I kid… I don’t really know how long they’ve been dating. Anyway, CONGRATS to Susan and Bryan. I know it was a great Saturday for them.


Speaking of Awesome Saturdays… This past Saturday was an awesome day/night for me. I have been looking forward to this day for sometime now and it lived up to my expectations. It started with us running late to KC and LA’s house. As anyone who knows me knows, I hate running late… which is somewhat ironic since I seem to be late a good bit. So I’m not in a great mood and The Wife got a little snippy with me. I told her the only reason she was making us late is because we were going to hang out with my friends… if we were going to hang out with her friends she wouldn’t be making us late. She seemed to take offense to this since, she feels, they are just as much her friends as they are mine (and she’s known most of them longer than I have). So one thing leads to another and she says if we were divorced, they would stay friends with her and not me. That, I told her, was just crazy talk. So we went down the list trying to figure out who would stick with her and who would stick with me. Let’s just say, I won by a large margin and really the only reason she had any on her side was because I didn’t want to hurt her feelings. To prove my point, when we got to KC’s house I got out of the car and asked my friend (and longtime I’m just sayin reader) Danny who he would stick with. Before the question was fully out of my mouth (and with a tone and facial expression which would lead one to think that the question is such a no-brainer that it’s almost insulting to be asked it) he said “Greg”. The Wife then, in a very pleading tone, ask Danny’s wife Jen (also a longtime I’m just sayin… reader) who she would stick with. While Jen did say “The Wife”, the soft wavering tone of her voice and her body language clearly said “Greg”. So that’s how the night started. We brought with us a good sausage/cheese dip, Woodchuck (the apple juice of beer… for The Wife) and PBR (the beer of real men… for me). Susie picked the beer for me earlier in the day when we were at The Pig (my choice for grocery stores). Of course, I could have gone with Pig Swig, but I was feeling the canned beer Saturday night over bottled beer… so that ruled Pig Swig out. Anyway, I’m standing there trying to figure out which beer I’m going to take and Susie picked PBR. Actually, I think she picked Old Milwaukee NA (non-alcoholic)… but she didn’t protest when I grabbed the PBR, so we’ll go say she picked that. Some of you might be asking, “Why PBR?” That’s a very fair question. I’ve taken a liking to PBR for a couple of reasons. The main reason is when I’m in a group setting, it makes it easy to keep up with which beer I brought… since no one else in my circle is going to bring it to a party. Also, it makes it easy to share with others:


Friend: “Hey… Can I grab a beer?”


Me: “Sure, no problem. It’s the PBR”.


Friend: “Never mind”.


So we were at KC’s house partying with my friends KC, LA, Danny, Jen, Michael, Adrian, Ross, Ginny, Cory and Ashley. We won’t talk about what was talked about because, as you all know, what’s said at KC’s stays at KC’s. This extends to cars going to and from KC’s. Speaking of cars, big shout outs go to LA and Adrian for being our drivers for the night. While I won’t get into specifics, I can say a somewhat inappropriate conversation was going on between some of the people in the Adrian car while Jen was on a work related phone call. I know it was somewhat inappropriate because at one point Jen covered her phone and said “Hey! I’m on a work related call here!” What went unsaid, but could be gathered from her tone of voice, was “If I get a (bleep)ing call on Monday morning because of the (bleep)ing stuff you (bleep)ing people are talking about right now, heads are going to (bleep)ing roll!!!!” So everyone did there best not to say anything else until she got off the phone… and she did her best to resolve the work situation and get off the phone in a record time. Needless to say, no more work calls were taken that night.


We then get to the Hootie and the Blowfish concert and… well… it rained. Really, really, really, really hard. How hard? Go get a big bucket, fill it up with water and pour it on your head. Now picture that going on non-stop. The girls went downstairs to get under cover. Me, KC, Michael and Ross stayed in our seats. Within five minutes we were soaked. We would not have been any wetter had we been standing in a pool. It’s funny to see how different people react to rain. The girls (who were out of the rain) had ponchos/rain gear… Danny (also with the girls) had some type of rain gear (I don’t remember… maybe a poncho). Cory (also with the girls) had a fishing shirt that was made out of duck hair (a yellow duck). Ross, Michael, KC and me (the people in our group still in the rain) had the clothes we were wearing… and smiles on our faces. The rain actually felt pretty good. I mean, if it were the middle of November then I’d have gone downstairs. But in the summer heat we’ve been having I was willing to take my chances in the rain. Then someone from the concert staff came around and told us the show was being cancelled. We weren’t happy… but it was still pouring rain so Michael and I started heading down to get the girls. By this point, KC had made some new friends and was under the stairs to the metal bleachers… he refused to leave. Ross… well, let’s be honest… Ross is easily distracted and I think by this point he had wandered off to who knows where. So we decide to head to the cars (really, to only lose two guys in a situation like that isn’t all that bad). We get to the gate and as people are flooding out (pun intended), the guy working the gate is telling people the concert has not been cancelled. This is about 9:15pm. So we head back up to our seats and Hootie comes on a little after 9:30pm. If I had to use one word to describe the concert, it would be: justasfreakingawesomeasIthoughtitwouldbe. It looked like they were very grateful and somewhat amazed that so many people stuck around in the pouring rain just to hear them play. I won’t give you a blow by blow accounting of the concert (like I did for most of the night), but I will point out some things. I’m pretty sure they played all of the Hootie “classics”. They also played some of Darius’ Country hits. The guys also had some guests up on stage with them. They had a couple of guys from Sister Hazel get up on stage with them to sing “All For You” (with Darius singing back-up… along with everyone else in the stadium). Radney Foster was also in the house and he got up on stage to sing some of his songs that the band has covered over the years. It was kind of fun seeing how much fun Darius was having singing with a guy who (he says) has had a big influence on his music. Let me tell you why I like going to a Hootie concert… it’s because I like their songs AND I like the songs they cover. I don’t remember all of the cover songs they sang this past Saturday, but two that come to mind are “Losing My Religion” by REM and “Surrender” by Cheap Trick. That was the song they ended the show with and I think it was a good choice. It sends everyone out on a pumped up high note. I would have liked to have them play (and perhaps end the show) with David Allen Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me by My Name” as they have a few times in the past… but “Surrender” was also a good choice. After the concert we went back to KC and LA’s house to hang out some more. The Wife and I finally left some time after 1:00 am because we had to get up and go to church in a few hours (I had to usher the 8:45 service and she had to teach the Special Needs Sunday School class… and trust me, after the night we just had… we needed to go to church).  :)


Cory and Michael also had to get up in time to usher the 8:45 service. I am happy (and more than a little surprised) to say that we all made it (and on time… and by on time I mean after Jeremy, who I think must spend the night in the church on Saturdays before we usher).


One more thing about why I like Darius Rucker. He’s from the area and he still lives in the area. He could live anywhere he wants… and he wants to live here. I like that. He’s also a big supporter of Pattison’s Academy which is a non-profit group that does a lot of work helping children with special needs (including running a charter school for special needs children). We at I’m just sayin… would like to tip our hat to Darius Rucker and all the guys of Hootie and The Blowfish. We can’t wait for the concert next year!


Speaking of school… Today was Mary Ruth’s first day of school. Susie also moved up to the 2 year old class today. Here’s a picture of my girls from this morning:


The big one and the little one




I don’t know if you heard this, but it’s pretty good. The Indiana football coach and some radio guys got in a little argument. It’s worth a listen.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Luman L. Cadwell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from September 20, 1864 at Alabama Bayou, Louisiana. His citation reads:

Swam the bayou under fire of the enemy and captured and brought off a boat by means of which the command crossed and routed the enemy.

Private Hector A. Cafferata, Jr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 28, 1950 in Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a rifleman with Company F, in action against enemy aggressor forces. When all the other members of his fire team became casualties, creating a gap in the lines, during the initial phase of a vicious attack launched by a fanatical enemy of regimental strength against his company's hill position, Pvt. Cafferata waged a lone battle with grenades and rifle fire as the attack gained momentum and the enemy threatened penetration through the gap and endangered the integrity of the entire defensive perimeter. Making a target of himself under the devastating fire from automatic weapons, rifles, grenades, and mortars, he maneuvered up and down the line and delivered accurate and effective fire against the onrushing force, killing 15, wounding many more, and forcing the others to withdraw so that reinforcements could move up and consolidate the position. Again fighting desperately against a renewed onslaught later that same morning when a hostile grenade landed in a shallow entrenchment occupied by wounded marines, Pvt. Cafferata rushed into the gully under heavy fire, seized the deadly missile in his right hand and hurled it free of his comrades before it detonated, severing part of 1 finger and seriously wounding him in the right hand and arm. Courageously ignoring the intense pain, he staunchly fought on until he was struck by a sniper's bullet and forced to submit to evacuation for medical treatment Stouthearted and indomitable, Pvt. Cafferata, by his fortitude, great personal valor, and dauntless perseverance in the face of almost certain death, saved the lives of several of his fellow marines and contributed essentially to the success achieved by his company in maintaining its defensive position against tremendous odds. His extraordinary heroism throughout was in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Seaman Thomas Cahey (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 31, 1901 on board the USS Petrel. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Petrel for heroism and gallantry, fearlessly exposing his own life to danger in saving others on the occasion of the fire on board that vessel, 31 March 1901.

No comments:

Post a Comment