Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Football Memories, Part II

Speaking of memories, don't forget to donate to the memory walk (see link on the side of the page).

As you know, we at I’m just sayin… feel there is nothing better to do on a hot August night than sit with a PBR and watch college football. But Greg, you say, there is no college football on these days. Friends, at my house there is always college football on. Listen, we watch more than our fair share of cartoons, NCIS, House and other kid-friendly shows… but when it gets this close to the college football season, I have to put my foot down and put a DVD in the player. So last night I put in a DVD of the 1990 Clemson/NC State game. The Wife, of course, rolls her eyes and complains about this because as she says 1- We just watched this game (No, we didn’t. We just watched the 1991 Clemson/UNC game… Women, right?) 2- You already know who wins (Damn right I do… I’m not going to waste my time watching a loss... Women, right?) 3- We need to watch the news to find out about Hurricane Irene (I told her if it was bad enough, the news would cut into the game. Do you get it No Name Teri? We were watching a DVD… so I knew there wasn’t any chance the news would cut into the game. Somewhere, Sonny is laughing at that... he can be so mean to his sister.).

Anyway… During the game something was said about the 1987 Clemson/NC State game (a loss for the Tigers… so we don’t have it at our house). I told The Wife and anyone else who would listen (so pretty much just Maverick) that I remember that game because I was there. That got me to thinking… that wasn’t the first Clemson game I’d been to. I don’t remember the first time my parents took me to a game… but seeing as how I remember that ’87 game and I remember it wasn’t my first, I’ll be conservative and say I went to my first game in ’86. My parents had season tickets back then with some friends (back when season tickets costs about what a 3 game package costs today… but more on that later). Their seats were on the visitor side in the upper deck down toward the west end zone. When they would take me to games, I’d sit on the hill. “What’s the point?” you ask. The point is that in 1986 I was 7 years old. SEVEN! And we were with about 80,000+ other people and my parents didn’t think twice about letting me sit on the hill while they were in the upper deck. I don’t know if DSS was around back then but they missed out on a slam dunk case. Now, Mom will point out that I wasn’t really alone… Sonny and No Name Teri were with me. But if you look at the facts, you will see that while I was seven back then, Sonny was 16 and No Name Teri was 14… meaning they were watching everyone BUT me. Also, to add a little perspective here, Mary Ruth will turn six at the end of the year. I was just a year older than her back then. To be fair to the parents, it was a different time back then. And the games were fun. And the older (high school/college age) kids around me on the hill did look out for me (a crying kid draws the attention of security… which isn’t something an underage-drinker wants… so it’s best to keep the kid happy). That was also back when a player could score a touchdown and come over to the fans without having a flag thrown for “excessive celebration”. Ah… the good ol’ days.

There seems to be a lot of talk these days about paying football players. Even the Ol’ Ball Coach at USC thinks the poor young men playing for his Revolutionary War Heroes should get a little something for their trouble. Here’s the thing… it’s not like these guys aren’t getting anything. If you want to raise the number of scholarships available, I’d be for that. But the people wanting to pay players aren’t usually talking about walk-ons… they are talking about the stars. Spurrier even brought up the fact that poor Marcus Lattimore doesn’t even have a car. What is the world coming to when a major college football player doesn’t have a car?! I think if he can bum a ride from friends for a couple of more years, he’ll be able to get quite a few cars. Much has been made over the fact that the schools make so much money while the players get “nothing”. First off, the players get a full ride to school. People act like that doesn’t count. Really? Then take the freakin’ scholarship from the poor “star” player and give it to the walk-on. Do you know how much a year of college at Clemson is? Around $20,986. There are a lot of people in this state not bringing home $20,986. But Greg, you say, those people aren’t making a ton of money for their employer. I contend that these players also aren’t doing that. How much money do the current stars bring schools? Let’s look at Mr. Lattimore again (I know I keep jumping back between Clemson and USC but in this argument they are both pretty much the same). Last season Mr. Lattimore was able to help the Revolutionary War Heroes attract an average of 76,642 fans to their 7 home games. Overall it was a great year for USC as they won the SEC East for the first time in school history. That was an average of 1,325 fans more than the previous season… but an average of 1,631 fewer fans than the six home-game winless 1999 season. What’s my point? My point is that fans, by in large, show up because they are fans of the school… not just fans of one player. Players, after all, only play a few years (4 at most) before they leave… yet fans keep showing up. What about jersey sales? Here’s the thing… not every number is available to purchase… so who’s to say people are buying a jersey because of a specific player and not just because they want a USC/Clemson jersey? Also, as I pointed out to Sonny and Louis one day… if I bought a Clemson jersey I’d want #44. I have no idea who has that number now; I’d want it because Levon Kirkland wore it as a Tiger.

But what about these poor players who don’t even have enough money to take their girlfriends out on a date? I have a couple of points here… First, as anyone who ever saw Rocky knows, women weaken legs. So these guys shouldn’t be out with their girlfriends... besides, when do they have time to date? I mean, the whole reason people don’t want a playoff in that level of football is because it would get in the way of academics (how can the UNC tutors do class work for the UNC players when the playoffs are on TV?!). So… maybe these poor players should focus more on their school work and less on their girlfriends. Finally, if they really really really want to be like the average college student, just get a credit card and go into debt.

Or here’s an idea that’s a little out of the box. If there really is the overflowing of money, lower ticket prices. I believe a ticket to a Clemson game in 1988 was $18. Today, it’s $35 (for the Wofford game) and $55 for the FSU game. I think you got more bang for your buck in ’88.

I found a clip of Darius singing “You Never Even Called Me by My Name” Live
(video starts after song has started, but really this is the best video of the live version that I’ve found). It’s fun in person… but watching it on video is fun, too.



Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Albert Ralph Campbell (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 21, 1900 at Tientsin, China. His citation reads:

In action at Tientsin, China, 21 June 1900. During the advance on Tientsin, Campbell distinguished himself by his conduct.

Private Daniel Campbell (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898 on board the USS Marblehead. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Marblehead during the cutting of the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Campbell set an example of extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

Private James A. Campbell (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 22, 1865 at Woodstock, Virginia and April 5, 1865 at Amelia Courthouse, Virginia. His citation reads:

While his command was retreating before superior numbers at Woodstock, Va., he voluntarily rushed back with one companion and rescued his commanding officer, who had been unhorsed and left behind. At Amelia Courthouse captured 2 battle flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment