Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fear not… I’m better

Happy 300th post!

I know I gave all of you quite a scare this past Sunday with my short post. The good news is I am feeling better. Before we get to that, I want to start with something else.

Around our house, I have stumbled upon a nickname for my godson Lucas. (That reminds me, The Godfather was on last night. I tuned in about half way through and couldn’t go to sleep until I saw the rest of it. I think it ended around midnight. I was sleepy… I wanted to go to sleep… but I couldn’t. That movie is just that good. I don’t know if it was the time of night or what, but when I saw an ad for The Godfather II, I couldn’t help but think that The Godfather II was the Steve Young of movies [a Hall of Famer following a Hall of Famer]. If this doesn’t make sense, try reading it late at night when you’re sleepy, but can’t sleep and you should get it. Of course, some of you just might never get it. Oh, I also noticed for the first time really just how polite Michael Corleone is in this movie. I mean, just look at how he interacts with his brother-in-law near the end of the movie. He sees that Carlo is scared, so he tells one of his… friends, let’s call him, to get Carlo a drink. How nice is that?). Anyway, I’ve been calling Lucas by the nickname Bacon. Why? Well, there are a number of reasons. 1. It started when The Wife and Mary Ruth were talking about what Lucas’ teacher calls him now. I thought Mary Ruth said Bacon. Turns out she said a name that is nothing like Bacon… but the damage was already done. 2. I love bacon… I love Lucas. It seems to fit. 3. Right now he is built like a OL… The great Redskins OL was nicknamed the Hogs… I don’t think it’s a stretch to go from Hogs to Bacon. 4. I call Daniel “Piglet” (because he was the smallest of our babies and when he cries he sounds like a little piggy)… so I thought it would be nice to have Piglet and Bacon. (I find this interesting… The Wife doesn’t really mind that I call Daniel “Piglet”. She hates it, however, when I call him Lil’ Danny or Lil’ Dan or DW…).

So a stomach thing went around day care last week. Bacon got it Wednesday and gave it to Rebecca and Jeremy Thursday. Daniel got it Thursday so we kept him home on Friday. He didn’t seem to have it as bad, so we got lucky in that sense. I had him and Susie home by myself on Saturday so The Wife could go to the beach go to work to prepare for a big audit that took place yesterday. I thought I did a pretty good job since I started the day with two kids and still had two kids when The Wife got home (as a bonus, they were the same two kids at the end as they were at the beginning). Daniel wasn’t too bad, so I thought we were in the clear. Saturday night about 11:30 – midnight, I woke up and ran to the bathroom and pretty much stayed there until about 6:00 in the morning. I fell asleep for good about 6:05 Sunday morning, which was good because that let me get a good 30 minutes of sleep before The Wife left for “the office” and Susie and Daniel woke up. Susie has learned to say “Bless you”… but she hasn’t really mastered when to say it. Anyway, I go to help her get out of bed and that amount of movement was enough to send me back to the bathroom. I don’t want to get to graphic here, but we’re all adults (for the most part)… so I’m in the bathroom throwing-up and Susie walked up to me and started patting my back while saying “Bless you Daddy!” It made me laugh… which wasn’t all that great since it hurt to laugh. I spent the rest of the morning with a splitting headache, Piglet crying/sleeping in his swing, and Susie jumping up and down on me like she is riding a horse. The Wife came home early Sunday afternoon to take the kids away. I’m sure she told me where they were going, but to be honest I didn’t really care.

The moral of the story here is that if your child gets sick at day care, leave him/her there until (s)he is better. You do NOT want to risk catching whatever it is they have.

It’s August and you know what that means… College football is about to start! I’m sure I will be talking about that more and more as the month goes on. For the days that I’m not posting (and the days that I am), check out these two blogs which I enjoy reading:


For Clemson info

For Carolina info

August also means we’re now counting down the days until Labor Day Weekend! As you know, Labor Day is my favorite non-religious holiday. It’s the time of year that we get to spend time with my Labor Day Family and that’s something I really look forward to.


If you haven’t visited lately, make sure you head over to Our Life to see some of the good stuff my friend KC has been posting. Good stuff.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Edmond Butler (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 8, 1877 at Wolf Mountain, Montana. His citation reads:

Most distinguished gallantry in action with hostile Indians.

Major Smedley Darlington Butler (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 22, 1914 at Vera Cruz and November 17, 1915 at Fort Riviere, Haiti. His citation reads:

As Commanding Officer of detachments from the 5th, 13th, 23d Companies and the marine and sailor detachment from the U.S.S. Connecticut, Maj. Butler led the attack on Fort Riviere, Haiti, 17 November 1915. Following a concentrated drive, several different detachments of marines gradually closed in on the old French bastion fort in an effort to cut off all avenues of retreat for the Caco bandits. Reaching the fort on the southern side where there was a small opening in the wall, Maj. Butler gave the signal to attack and marines from the 15th Company poured through the breach, engaged the Cacos in hand-to-hand combat, took the bastion and crushed the Caco resistance. Throughout this perilous action, Maj. Butler was conspicuous for his bravery and forceful leadership. FIRST AWARD For distinguished conduct in battle, engagement of Vera Cruz, 22 April 1914. Maj. Butler was eminent and conspicuous in command of his battalion. He exhibited courage and skill in leading his men through the action of the 22d and in the final occupation of the city.

Brigadier General Daniel Butterfield (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 27, 1862 at Gaines Mill, Virginia. His citation reads:

Seized the colors of the 83d Pennsylvania Volunteers at a critical moment and, under a galling fire of the enemy, encouraged the depleted ranks to renewed exertion.

No comments:

Post a Comment