Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Football memories... Part 1



Someone on the radio this week was talking about kids getting autographs from their heroes on college football teams and it caused me to have a very vivid flashback to the spring of 1989. I was in the 4th grade and Sonny was still in his first year at Clemson (remember, he was an accident). Dad came to pick me up from Stiles Point Elementary School early on a Friday so we could head up to Clemson for the weekend. We were going up there to visit Sonny, watch some baseball games and go watch the Orange and White game. Up to that point, I had been slightly disappointed in Sonny as I had written him multiple times asking him to seek out certain football players and get their autographs for me… yet had received no return letter containing autographs. Honestly, I was 10 years old at the time… why the coldhearted jackass couldn’t have just scribbled some names on a sheet of paper and mailed it to me I’ll never know. But, as you can tell, I hold no grudge against him.

Anyway, Dad and I headed up to Clemson for a fun weekend. After one of the baseball games I was able to go down on the field and get autographs from the players (none of whom I knew… and as far as I can tell, I didn’t get any autographs of any future Major League Baseball players… though I may have gotten Brian Barnes’ autograph… I don’t remember). I do remember that I got Coach Wilhelm’s autograph. That was cool. I can remember going into the restaurant at our hotel and seeing Frank Howard. Well, I didn’t see him… Dad did. But Dad pointed him out to me so I walked over and asked him for his autograph. Actually, I was so scared that I just walked over and stood there. He didn’t see me at first, so his wife had to point me out to him. Then I asked for his autograph. He was real nice to me.

Now let’s talk about the Orange and White game. I don’t know how it happened, but somehow I ended up following an older kid down to the sideline. Where were Dad and Sonny while I was down there? Beats me… probably up in the stands looking at the cheerleaders. Heck, for all I know, they left to go grab something to eat and came back to the game in time to pick me up. That’s not the point of the story. The point of the story is this. I have followed Clemson football for as long as I can remember. I was a huge fan of the Tigers up until early September 2004 (which I’ve talked about before)… now I follow (and cheer) for them, but don’t live and die with the team. Anyway, if you ask me where my heart is when it comes to Clemson football I will tell you 1988 – 1991 (with a heavy emphasis on the ’88 and ’89 teams). It is no coincidence that this is when Levon Kirkland was playing for the Tigers. I loved the players on that team. I lived and died on how well they played on Saturdays. Simply put, on this Saturday back in the spring of 1989 I was walking around the sideline of Death Valley amongst my heroes. The kid I was with handed me a pen and a yellow sheet of paper off of a legal pad and off we went. Let me take a second here to let you know that at no point did I have a player refuse to give me his autograph. All the guys were great. I can still remember walking up to Chris Morocco as he was kneeling on the sideline watching a play and asking him for his autograph. He grabbed the pen and paper, turns his back to Danny Ford (who was a short distance away) and as he signs he says, “Be careful… don’t let Coach Ford see you out here”. I don’t remember if I got Coach Ford’s autograph… I don’t think I did. While I can’t remember every person who signed for me, I can tell you these players signed: Levon Kirkland, Ed McDaniel, Wayne Simmons, Otis Moore, Chester McGlockton, Rob Bodine, Vance Hammond, John Johnson, Doug Brewster, Jerome Henderson, Arlington Nunn, James Lott, Dexter Davis, Chris Gardocki, Terry Allen, Joe Henderson, Wesley McFadden, DeChane Cameron, Doug Thomas, Gary Cooper, Stacy Fields, Stacy Long, Eric Harmon, Hank Phillips, Chip Davis, Bruce Bratton, Jeb Flesch and Vince Taylor (and, of course, the previously mentioned Chris Morocco). To some of you, these names don’t really mean anything. To me… they practically represent my childhood. This yellow sheet of paper, folded carefully multiple times, was perhaps my most prized possession. I kept it in my room against the mirror. Days, months, years went by and every so often I would pick up that piece of paper and I would look at those names. It was great. Then one day it was gone. I have no idea what happened to it. Mom claims that she didn’t throw it away… though if you must know the truth I think she did. If she didn’t throw it away, then it is still in that house somewhere. Every so often when I am at my parents James Island estate, I will look around in hopes of finding that yellow sheet of paper (and with it, a piece of my childhood). Oh well, at least I have the memory of that day in 1989. And, thanks to my cousin Louis, I have Levon Kirkland’s autograph.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Second Lieutenant John E. Butts (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 14, 16 and 23, 1944 at Normandy, France. His citation reads:

Heroically led his platoon against the enemy in Normandy, France, on 14, 16, and 23 June 1944. Although painfully wounded on the 14th near Orglandes and again on the 16th while spearheading an attack to establish a bridgehead across the Douve River, he refused medical aid and remained with his platoon. A week later, near Flottemanville Hague, he led an assault on a tactically important and stubbornly defended hill studded with tanks, antitank guns, pillboxes, and machinegun emplacements, and protected by concentrated artillery and mortar fire. As the attack was launched, 2d Lt. Butts, at the head of his platoon, was critically wounded by German machinegun fire. Although weakened by his injuries, he rallied his men and directed 1 squad to make a flanking movement while he alone made a frontal assault to draw the hostile fire upon himself. Once more he was struck, but by grim determination and sheer courage continued to crawl ahead. When within 10 yards of his objective, he was killed by direct fire. By his superb courage, unflinching valor and inspiring actions, 2d Lt. Butts enabled his platoon to take a formidable strong point and contributed greatly to the success of his battalion's mission.

Corporal Ulysses G. Buzzard (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898 at El Caney, Cuba. His citation reads:

Gallantly assisted in the rescue of the wounded from in front of the lines and under heavy fire from the enemy.

Commander Richard Evelyn Byrd, Jr. (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on during the Interim 1920-1940. His citation reads:

For distinguishing himself conspicuously by courage and intrepidity at the risk of his life, in demonstrating that it is possible for aircraft to travel in continuous flight from a now inhabited portion of the earth over the North Pole and return.

No comments:

Post a Comment