Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Congrats!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private John Hall (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from August to October 1868, in Arizona. His citation reads:

Bravery in scouts and actions against Indians.

Techinician Fifth Grade Lewis Hall (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 10, 1943, at Mount Austen, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands. His citation reads:

For gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty. As leader of a machinegun squad charged with the protection of other battalion units, his group was attacked by a superior number of Japanese, his gunner killed, his assistant gunner wounded, and an adjoining guncrew put out of action. Ordered to withdraw from his hazardous position, he refused to retire but rushed forward to the idle gun and with the aid of another soldier who joined him and held up the machinegun by the tripod to increase its field of action he opened fire and inflicted heavy casualties upon the enemy. While so engaged both these gallant soldiers were killed, but their sturdy defense was a decisive factor in the following success of the attacking battalion.

Corporal Newton H. Hall (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 30, 1864, at Franklin, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Capture of flag, believed to have belonged to Steward's Corps (C.S.A.).


We would like to start today by congratulating Coach Tom Hatley on his upcoming induction into the Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame. Congrats also go out to Sonny’s old JI teammate, Gettys Glaze, and John Rhodes (who I played for during the fall of my senior year in high school). With his induction, Gettys will join his brother Lee in the Hall of Fame making them the first brother combo to be inducted. Sonny and I still have a chance to be the first brother combo inducted into the HOF at the same time. Anyway, while I am happy for Gettys and Coach Rhodes, I have to admit that I am happiest for Coach Hatley. The reason is this will probably be the closest I’ll ever get to being in the Hall of Fame myself. This is what was said about Coach Hatley in the hall of fame announcement:

The longtime (24 years) James Island High baseball coach, Hatley led the Trojans to AAA state titles in 1994 and 1996, the lower state title in '99 and nine region championships. A former assistant to Citadel coach and Charleston Baseball Hall of Famer Chal Port (1981-83, 89-91), Hatley continues to coach at James Island Charter High where he has collected 453 wins in his career. He was the overall state coach of the year in 1996 and '99, and was the Class AAAA coach of the year twice and twice the Class AAA coach of the year. Hatley is also a past president of SC High School Baseball Coaches Association.


There was a Horres on the team for 8 of those 24 years (Sonny played more of his 4 years than I did mine, but whatever). At least one of us was on the team for both State Championships, five of the nine region championships and roughly one third of his 453 wins. So I can’t help but feel like maybe we played a small part in helping Coach Hatley get into the HOF. Of course, Gettys played 4 years for him and Donald Morillo played 1 year for him and both of them are now in the Hall of Fame… so there’s a good chance they played a bigger role than we did. While I’m not one to typically point out Sonny’s accomplishments, I do feel the need to point out this little fact… The 1988 James Island High School baseball team had two future HOF members on it… Sonny was the MVP of that team. So he’s got that going for him… which is nice.

Don’t forget!!! To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres

Spread the word. Let’s try to give as many people the opportunity to give.


Picture Tuesday
What happens when you have two big sisters?  This does...

A pic of the Riverdogs game from the other night


Almost looks like that guy from Star Trek The Next Generation

Watch out Michael Phelps

Fireworks after that Riverdogs game...


She was showing me her braided hair... but I realize now you can't see it in this picture



The kids with Nana and Da on James Island

The following are pictures from our little hideaway on James Island...




Look at who lost another tooth!  I love how excited Mary Ruth looks in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment