Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, August 16, 2012

Very Thankful...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Quartermaster Allexander Hand (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 9, 1862, on board the USS Ceres. His citation reads:

Served on board the U.S.S. Ceres in the fight near Hamilton, Roanoke River, 9 July 1862. Fired on by the enemy with small arms, Hand courageously returned the raking enemy fire and was spoken of for "good conduct and cool bravery under enemy fire," by the commanding officer.

Seaman John Handran (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 9, 1876, on board the USS Franklin. His citation reads:

For gallant conduct while serving on board the U.S.S. Franklin at Lisbon, Portugal, 9 January 1876. Jumping overboard, Handran rescued from drowning one of the crew of that vessel.

Master Sergeant Melvin O. Handrich (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 25-26, 1950, near Sobuk San Mountain, Korea. His citation reads:

M/Sgt. Handrich, Company C, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. His company was engaged in repulsing an estimated 150 enemy who were threatening to overrun its position. Near midnight on 25 August, a hostile group over 100 strong attempted to infiltrate the company perimeter. M/Sgt. Handrich, despite the heavy enemy fire, voluntarily left the comparative safety of the defensive area and moved to a forward position where he could direct mortar and artillery fire upon the advancing enemy. He remained at this post for 8 hours directing fire against the enemy who often approached to within 50 feet of his position. Again, on the morning of 26 August, another strong hostile force made an attempt to overrun the company's position. With complete disregard for his safety, M/Sgt. Handrich rose to his feet and from this exposed position fired his rifle and directed mortar and artillery fire on the attackers. At the peak of this action he observed elements of his company preparing to withdraw. He perilously made his way across fire-swept terrain to the defense area where, by example and forceful leadership, he reorganized the men to continue the fight. During the action M/Sgt. Handrich was severely wounded. Refusing to take cover or be evacuated, he returned to his forward position and continued to direct the company's fire. Later a determined enemy attack overran M/Sgt. Handrich's position and he was mortally wounded. When the position was retaken, over 70 enemy dead were counted in the area he had so intrepidly defended. M/Sgt. Handrich's sustained personal bravery, consummate courage, and gallant self-sacrifice reflect untold glory upon himself and the heroic traditions of the military service.


I’m not sure how to say this so I’m just going to come out and say it: I hope some of you join my team soon and I hope all of you start giving soon, or there are going to be some consequences.

To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres

I saw on Facebook last night that a friend I went to high school with has a daughter starting high school this year. I know my friend got married right out of high school, but still… she can’t be old enough to have a daughter in high school, because that would mean I’m old enough to have a daughter in high school and that’s just silly.

Susie and Daniel had their first day at their new school yesterday. Everything went great. Which leads us to…


Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful for St. Luke’s Children’s Learning Center. I know it’s just been one day, but so far so good. The kids had a great time. I think it helps that some of the workers from their old daycare now work at St. Luke’s. One of the most important (and perhaps most difficult) things as a parent is to be able to trust the people taking care of your children. It’s still early, but so far it looks like we’ve found a place we can trust. And for that I am thankful.

Of course, a good bit of time has passed since their old day care closed with very little notice. I have no clue what we would have done without Miss Jessie. She spent the passed 7 months or so watching our kids for us. And she didn’t just come over and watch TV with them (which is probably what I would have done), she taught them lessons and took them on field trips. Not only that, she would also clean our house, do the dishes and wash the kids clothes. Needless to say, The Wife cried on Miss Jessie’s last day. In Miss Jessie we not only had someone we trusted to watch our kids, we also had someone we trusted to be in our house all day, 5 days a week and (more importantly, in my mind) take care of our dogs. So while I am very thankful for St. Luke’s, I am just as thankful for Miss Jessie and all that she did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment