Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, August 24, 2012

Do you know...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Ordinary Seaman Bernard Harley (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 27, 1864, on board the US Picket Boat No. 1. His citation reads:

Harley served on board the U.S. Picket Boat No. 1, in action, 27 October 1864, against the Confederate ram Albemarle, which had resisted repeated attacks by our steamers and had kept a large force of vessels employed in watching her. The picket boat, equipped with a spar torpedo, succeeded in passing the enemy pickets within 20 yards without being discovered and then made for the Albemarle under a full head of steam. Immediately taken under fire by the ram, the small boat plunged on, jumped the log boom which encircled the target and exploded its torpedo under the port bow of the ram. The picket boat was destroyed by enemy fire and almost the entire crew taken prisoner or lost.

Corporal Amzi D. Harmon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Sergeant Roy W. Harmon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 12, 1944, Near Casaglia, Italy. His citation reads:

He was an acting squad leader when heavy machinegun fire from enemy positions, well dug in on commanding ground and camouflaged by haystacks, stopped his company's advance and pinned down 1 platoon where it was exposed to almost certain annihilation. Ordered to rescue the beleaguered platoon by neutralizing the German automatic fire, he led his squad forward along a draw to the right of the trapped unit against 3 key positions which poured murderous fire into his helpless comrades. When within range, his squad fired tracer bullets in an attempt to set fire to the 3 haystacks which were strung out in a loose line directly to the front, 75, 150, and 250 yards away. Realizing that this attack was ineffective, Sgt. Harmon ordered his squad to hold their position and voluntarily began a 1-man assault. Carrying white phosphorus grenades and a submachine gun, he skillfully took advantage of what little cover the terrain afforded and crept to within 25 yards of the first position. He set the haystack afire with a grenade, and when 2 of the enemy attempted to flee from the inferno, he killed them with his submachine gun. Crawling toward the second machinegun emplacement, he attracted fire and was wounded; but he continued to advance and destroyed the position with hand grenades, killing the occupants. He then attacked the third machinegun, running to a small knoll, then crawling over ground which offered no concealment or cover. About halfway to his objective, he was again wounded. But he struggled ahead until within 20 yards of the machinegun nest, where he raised himself to his knees to throw a grenade. He was knocked down by direct enemy fire. With a final, magnificent effort, he again arose, hurled the grenade and fell dead, riddled by bullets. His missile fired the third position, destroying it. Sgt. Harmon's extraordinary heroism, gallantry, and self-sacrifice saved a platoon from being wiped out, and made it possible for his company to advance against powerful enemy resistance.


Don’t forget!!! To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres


The I’m just sayin… Know Your South Carolina Athlete

Our SC athlete you should know is Holly Hill native Adrian Dingle. I’m going to be honest with you, while Adrian played college and professional football… his high school baseball career played just as big a role getting him on here. I was a sophomore in high school when Dingle was a senior at Holly Hill Roberts. I remember we went up to face his baseball team in the playoffs that season. I’ve never seen a team so big… and all of them able to hit the ball a mile (I’m pretty sure Adrian DID hit one ball a mile). I remember my friend Carl was pitching (in this particular game, I was keeping the book which means I was sitting/standing beside Coach Hatley). Carl’s best pitch was this slow curve ball that would just fall off a table. Dingle was up at the plate and Carl threw him the curve ball but I guess it was a little too far inside and it ended up hitting Adrian. Dingle just stood there glaring at Carl. He was trying to intimidate us and… well… it was working. I’m telling you, the guy was huge. Well Coach Hatley was having none of that… He jumped up and yelled, “Go to first base! You’re lucky I didn’t tell him to hit you with a fastball!” It was at this time that I looked to find I was the only one still standing beside Coach Hatley. Everyone else on the bench had moved to the far end of the dugout. Punks. Anyway, I could be confusing my stories here… but I’m pretty sure we lost that game. But the next time we played them (a couple games later in the playoffs), we played a much better game and beat them.

After his high school days, Dingle went on to play linebacker/defensive end at Clemson from 1995 - 1998. He broke the Clemson single season sack record with 10.5 his senior season. Adrian was drafted in the fifth round of the 1999 NFL Draft by the San Diego Chargers. He played defensive tackle in the National Football League for five seasons with the San Diego Chargers (2000-2005…). Dingle ended his career having played in 69 games with 14.5 sacks and INT.

Congrats to Adrian Dingle for being our SC Athlete You Should Know.

No comments:

Post a Comment