Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I remember...

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Quartermaster Thomas W. Hamilton (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 27, 1863, on board the USS Cincinnati. His citation reads:

Serving as quartermaster on board the U.S.S. Cincinnati during the attack on the Vicksburg batteries and at the time of her sinking, 27 May 1863. Engaging the enemy in a fierce battle, the Cincinnati, amidst an incessant fire of shot and shell, continued to fire her guns to the last although so penetrated by enemy shell fire that her fate was sealed. Conspicuously gallant during this action, Hamilton, severely wounded at the wheel, returned to his post and had to be sent below, to hear the incessant roar of guns as the gallant ship went down, "her colors nailed to the mast."

Ensign Charles Hazeltine Hammann (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 21, 1918. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism as a pilot of a seaplane on 21 August 1918, when with 3 other planes Ens. Hammann took part in a patrol and attacked a superior force of enemy land planes. In the course of the engagement which followed the plane of Ens. George M. Ludlow was shot down and fell in the water 5 miles off Pola. Ens. Hammann immediately dived down and landed on the water close alongside the disabled machine, where he took Ludlow on board. Although his machine was not designed for the double load to which it was subjected, and although there was danger of attack by Austrian planes, he made his way to Porto Corsini.

Sergeant Henry A. Hammel (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 28-29, 1863, at Grand Gulf, Mississippi. His citation reads:

With two comrades voluntarily took position on board the steamer Cheeseman, in charge of all the guns and ammunition of the battery, and remained in charge of the same for considerable time while the steamer was unmanageable and subjected to a heavy fire from the enemy.


What would we be without our memories? Some memories stay “fresh” in our minds all of the time, while others seem to “pop” into our minds like a little gift from God. With Labor Day right around the corner one such memory came to me out of the blue. I admit I don’t remember what year this happened, but it was over Labor Day weekend many years ago. We went to some restaurant/bar on karaoke night… and I’m not sure how it happened, but I ended up singing Dixie with my good friend D.G. and my brother-in-law Brent. We did pretty good for the first verse, but didn’t do so great on the other 16 or so verses. Ok, I don’t know if there were that many verses, but I do remember there were waaaaaay more than we expected. For whatever reason, that memory came to me yesterday morning while I was on my way to work and it made me laugh out loud just thinking about it. And that’s just one of the reasons I’m raising money to fight Alzheimer’s disease.

To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres


Picture Tuesday

Me and Susie on James Island

A map on our secret JI park

This is the old Stiles Point Elementary School building.  This is where I spent 1st through 5th grade.  I want to say the part of the building you see in this picture was new when I was in school.  It is now going to be used for Harbor View Elementary School while they build a new HVES.  After that, I assume they will get rid of this building.  Kinda sad for me...

This is what I saw after telling Daniel everything I just told you in the above picture.

Some more pics of/from my JI park.






I don't know if you can tell in this picture, but someone cut a hole in the fence right below the No Trespassing sign.  I tip my hat to whoever did that.

In this and the below picture, we see Daniel trying to step on his shadow.  Very funny to watch.



The "Mobile Device Policy" for the PGA Championship was simple:  You could bring your phone, but you couldn't talk on it... or take pictures or videos with it.  So I don't have any pictures from the event... except for this one (I couldn't help myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment