Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate First Class Luovi Halling (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 15, 1904, on board the USS Missouri. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Missouri, for heroism in attempting to rescue from drowning Cecil C. Young, ordinary seaman, 15 September 1904.

Staff Sergeant Sherwood H. Hallman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 13, 1944, at Brest, Brittany, France. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. On 13 September 1944, in Brittany, France, the 2d Battalion in its attack on the fortified city of Brest was held up by a strongly defended enemy position which had prevented its advance despite repeated attacks extending over a 3-day period. Finally, Company F advanced to within several hundred yards of the enemy position but was again halted by intense fire. Realizing that the position must be neutralized without delay, S/Sgt. Hallman ordered his squad to cover his movements with fire while he advanced alone to a point from which he could make the assault. Without hesitating, S/Sgt. Hallman leaped over a hedgerow into a sunken road, the central point of the German defenses which was known to contain an enemy machinegun position and at least 30 enemy riflemen. Firing his carbine and hurling grenades, S/Sgt. Hallman, unassisted, killed or wounded 4 of the enemy, then ordered the remainder to surrender. Immediately, 12 of the enemy surrendered and the position was shortly secured by the remainder of his company. Seeing the surrender of this position, about 75 of the enemy in the vicinity surrendered, yielding a defensive organization which the battalion with heavy supporting fires had been unable to take. This single heroic act on the part of S/Sgt. Hallman resulted in the immediate advance of the entire battalion for a distance of 2,000 yards to a position from which Fort Keranroux was captured later the same day. S/Sgt. Hallman's fighting determination and intrepidity in battle exemplify the highest tradition of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Private Nathan M. Hallock (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 15, 1863, at Bristoe Station, Virginia. His citation reads:

At imminent peril saved from death or capture a disabled officer of his company by carrying him under a hot musketry fire, to a place of safety.


Don’t forget!!! To join my team, visit the link below.

http://act.alz.org/goto/imjustsayin

If you join my team, please ask other people to donate. If you would “just” like to give, go to:

http://act.alz.org/goto/greghorres


Thankful Thursday

There are a number of things I’m thankful for today, but the main one… the one I’m going to talk about today is The Wife. The Wife has a big birthday coming up this Saturday (and by “big”, I mean it’s her next birthday). I know I talked about her a little over a month ago before our 10th anniversary, but I don’t care… I’m still thankful for her. Every now and then I feel like I need to come on here to let you know that all of the stuff I usually say about her isn’t 100% true. Actually, 99% of it is probably truer than she’d like to admit, but there’s more to her than that stuff. I’m thankful because she’s able to make me laugh and because I’m able to make her laugh (at least I think I can… I’m pretty sure she just has a very silent laugh). I’m thankful that she answers the phone when I call… much like Sonny, but not at all like Teresa Lynn. (By the way, Teresa Lynn, consider yourself on notice. If I call you, you better answer. And if you don’t answer, you have exactly 1 minute to call me back. I’ve been too easy on you lately… that’s about to change). But back to The Wife… I’m thankful for her smile, because I love how it looks. I’m thankful that she hears the children cry at night long before I do. I’m thankful that she finally has a dog that loves her more than he loves me. I’m thankful for all that she does for our children. These kids would be in a world of hurt if she wasn’t around. Chances are it’d take them at least a month to notice I wasn’t there. Mary Ruth might miss me, but the little ones are all mommy all the time. Yep, The Wife is a great wife and an outstanding mother… and for that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment