Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!!!!!!

Let me start by wishing all of my amigos in Arizona Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

A minor correction from my post about Kevin... It seems a VIC 20 was his first computer. I stand by my statement, however, that the baseball game for the Commodore 64 was the best baseball game ever (Kevin agrees with me on this).

Oh, he also claims to have doubled off of Bryce Florie in a game. I have my doubts (unless it was in a video game... even then, I have my doubts).

By the way, a VIC 20 is a step up from a basic calculator... so I’m thinking it’s a stretch to count that as his first computer, but whatever...

Wait, was it the VIC 20 or the Commodore 64 that plugged into the little black and white TV we had? (Sorry to use a public blog to ask a question to one person... but it’s my blog so I’m not really sorry).

I have been hearing that some people think the police using a taser on the guy that ran on to the field in Philly the other night was too excessive. As you might guess, I thought they should have started kicking him after the taser brought him down. Maybe shoot him again to see if they could make him wet his shorts before walking him across the field showing everyone he wet his shorts. Oh, I’d also give an umpire a chance to shoot him with a taser. It wouldn’t really make up for all the things fans yell at umps during a game, but it would still be a nice gesture. People that run onto a baseball field, football field, basketball court (and so on and so forth) are just 1 very little step above people who protest at funerals as far as I’m concerned. You know what I would disagree with? Shooting a guy in the stands with a taser. That’s what I’d disagree with. But once the idiot runs on the field, I say shoot ‘em if you’ve got ‘em.

Now, friends, I ask for a moment of silence for Hall of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell who died yesterday at the age of 92. There is a special place in Heaven for guys who call games on the radio. He was one of the best. I don’t know if I’d say he’s THE best (though I know some would and it would be hard to argue), but I will say he’s on the list (and not too far down). How great was he? Well, he was fired by the Detroit Tigers after the 1991 season only to come back in 1993 after the team was sold to a new owner (who made it a priority to bring Harwell back). He finally retired in 2002. I dare say there’s a special place in hell for a person who fires one of the best radio men in the business. The first time I got to hear Harwell wasn’t of him calling a game. It was of him reading parts of his essay, “The Game for All America” at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony (I have a baseball CD that includes this). It’s a great essay from a great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment