Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Two days down, three to go

Yesterday was Bob Dylan’s birthday. Bob Dylan might be the most successful singer who sounds worse singing his songs than ANYONE else. Honestly, this is the guy that karaoke was made for. Still, I enjoy his songs.

Sunday night I watched the Brooks & Dunn thing on CBS. I’ve never really thought of myself as a Brooks & Dunn fan, but they do have some songs that I like. It seems they are the best selling duo in Country music history. So they’ve got that going for them. I did enjoy the show. I always like seeing musicians sing songs made famous by other people.

I know I’m a little late on this story (at least I don’t think I’ve talked about it yet) but NASCAR has announced its first Hall of Fame class. The first class included: Bill France; Bill France, Jr.; Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt; and Junior Johnson. I’m not the biggest NASCAR fan... it’s not that I don’t like it, I just don’t follow it as closely as others. With that in mind, I think this is a pretty good group to get this Hall of Fame started. I’m sure someone out there might be able to make an argument to have someone else in this group... but I don’t know if anyone would argue that one of these guys shouldn’t be in.

That’s much better than the 2003 inaugural class of the Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame. While that class did include James Island’s very own Gorman Thomas and Holly Hill’s Willie Randolph (two very worthy individuals, no doubt) it did not include the one man who has had perhaps the greatest influence on baseball in the Charleston area. That man, of course, is Coach Chal Port. To be fair, it wasn’t until 2006 that amateurs were considered for induction (and Coach Port was inducted that year). Of course, this begs the question: How do you have a Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame and not include amateurs? While I am a fan of our minor league team (the RiverDogs... a much better name than the Rainbows, which was their name when I started following them) I don’t think they rule the baseball world in this area. High school and college baseball rule (especially after C of C started playing). Anywho, I don’t think they’ve announced the nominees for this year’s class yet. I’ll let you know when they do (and I’ll even let you know who I’ll vote for).

Before I go, let me send a very big Thank You to my good friend and long-time I’m just sayin... reader Danny Wright for finding an Oklahoma quarter for me. This act of kindness will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment