Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happy Birthday Alan!

May (like January) is a busy month for birthdays in my family. My cousin Alan is turning 27 today. So, Happy Birthday Alan!

Alan, you may recall, is the only family member of my generation to scorn Clemson and follow me to Winthrop.

Not sure if you’ve been keeping up with Jeremy’s boy, Hanley Ramirez, but he needs to get his stuff together pretty quick. If you haven’t been following this… Hanley booted a ball (literally) and then didn’t exactly give it 100% when he “ran” after the ball. His manager got mad at him and ended up taking him out of the game. So far… not great… but also not the worst thing in the world. I get that he makes millions of dollars and so we think he should go 110% all the time… but I also get that it’s not always easy to give your best ALL the time at work. So, were I a well paid Major League baseball player I’d like to think I’d hustle on every play because that’s how I was raised to play the game. But, were I in a game and I didn’t hustle and my manager took me out of the game I would be embarrassed. I would then apologize to my teammates, coaches, and fans. Hanley (so far, at least) hasn’t done this. He talked about how his manager hadn’t played at that level (because THAT always gets people on your side) and said he didn’t need to apologize to anyone. I am reminded of a story Coach Hatley told us about Wally Pipp. Pipp, you might remember, was the starting first baseman for the New York Yankees (and a pretty good one, at that). One day he goes to the manager and says he needs to sit out because he has a headache. No problem, the manager said, I’ll just throw in that Gehrig kid. Well, that Gehrig kid started that game and the next 2,129 games after that one. He turned out to be a pretty good player. What does this have to do with Jeremy’s boy Hanley? Well, my advice to him is don’t take being a starter for granted. There hasn’t been a player yet to play who hasn’t been replaced. And sometimes the only difference between you and the guy on the bench is that you got a chance that he hasn’t gotten yet. But hey, what do I know, I never played at that level.

Of course, I’ve also never been a preacher but that’s never stopped me from telling them what they’ve done wrong and what they should do different.

Now, for a Chase Towne Update (from his dad):

Chase got his bloodwork and urine results! NORMAL! All of the markers were still in the normal range. The next step will be the three days of scans on June 9, 10 and 11th. If all is well from the scans then they will schedule surgery to remove his broviac tube from his chest. For now we will continue to enjoy "Normal" life. Chase and Olivia continue to show thier parents how to enjoy life. We would not be at this point today without God's grace and all of your prayers, love and support. Please continue to pray for our Miracle Baby, your prayers are working! Thank you!

How great is THAT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment