Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 19, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Alan!!!!!

I would like to start our post today by wishing my cousin Alan a very Happy Birthday! As you will remember, Alan is my cousin who was smart enough to follow me to Winthrop. I hope he has a great day.

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


451 - “The Taliban Song” by Toby Keith

“Now they attacked New York City cause they thought they could win/ Said they would, stand and fight until the very bloody end/ Mr. Bush got on the phone with Iraq and Iran and said ‘Now, you/ sons-of-bitches you better not be doin any business with the Taliban’/ (Taliban baby)”

450 - “The Seeker” by The Who

“I asked Bobby Dylan/ I asked The Beatles/ I asked Timothy Leary/ But he couldn't help me either/ They call me The Seeker/ I've been searching low and high/ I won't get to get what I'm after/ Till the day I die”

449 - “You Can't Stop Rock and Roll” by AC/DC

“You can't stop rock 'n' roll/ You can't stop rock 'n' roll/ You can't stop rock 'n' roll/ You can't stop rock 'n' roll”

This is just a great hard rock song by one of the best groups ever.

448 - “Rockin' in the Free World” by Bon Jovi

“We got a thousand points of light/ For the homeless man/ We got a kinder, gentler,/ Machine gun hand/ We got department stores and toilet paper/ Got styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer/ Got a man of the people, says keep hope alive/ Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive/ Keep on rockin' in the free world”

A great song off of their live album.

447 - “Bottle of Moonlight” by Uncle Mingo

“So we were married on the beach in a chapel made of sand/ Jose Cuervo was the priest and a lime was my best man/ We made are vows, and took our cares and threw them all away/ We danced along the moonlit shores and limboed the night away/ And even now when the wind will blow sometimes I can still hear her say/ ‘And now I know you’ve got to go, but I’ll wait for you come back to me some day’/ Mas despacio, no comprende, no entiendo- what you say?/ I cannot understand you but I love you anyway/ Yo lo tengo- A Bottle of Moonlight and sand beneath my feet on that Caribbean night/ Reach right up and touch the sky, surrounded by the contents of the Bottle of Moonlight that’s within your eyes”

Perhaps the surprise song of the Top 500. This is a great summer/beach type song that I loved listening to in high school. I don’t think this group ever “made it big”… and that’s too bad because I loved them.

446 - “Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares)” by Travis Tritt

“You say you were wrong to ever leave me alone/ Now you're sorry, you're lonesome and scared/ And you say you'd be happy if I you could just come back home/ Well, here's a quarter, call someone who cares/ Call someone who'll listen, or might give a damn/ Maybe one of your sordid affairs/ But don't you come 'round here handin' me none of your lies/ Here's a quarter, call someone who cares”

Here’s a great song that no kid these days will understand. I guess if you tried to explain it to a youngster the best way would be to say Here’s a Pre-Paid Cell Phone (Call Someone Who Cares)… or tweet someone who cares… or update your Facebook status and see if anyone gives a damn. Ok, I’m not sure the best way to explain it.

445 - “This Ain't No Love Song” by Trace Adkins

“This aint no love song/ I just felt getting my guitar on and singing a tune/ Singing about you/ Feeling good and tapping my shoes/ And all this stuff I'm making up well you probably/ Won't be hearing it on the radio but then you never know/ So baby if you want/ You can sing along/ But this ain't no love song”

This is another funny kind of Country song.

444 - “Should've Been a Cowboy” by Toby Keith

“I might of had a side kick with a funny name/ Running wild through the hills chasing Jesse James/ Ending up on the brink of danger/ Riding shotgun for the Texas Rangers/ Go west young man, haven't you been told/ California's full of whiskey, women and gold/ Sleeping out all night beneath the desert stars/ With a dream in my eye, and a prayer in my heart”

443 - “Little Deuce Coupe” by The Beach Boys

“Well I'm not braggin' babe so don't put me down/ But I've got the fastest set of wheels in town/ When someone comes up to me he don't even try/ Cause if I had a set of wings man I know she could fly/ She's my little deuce coupe/ You don't know what I got/ (My little deuce coupe)/ (You don't know what I got)”

442 - “I Go Back” by Kenny Chesney

“So I go back to a pew, preacher, and a choir/ Singin bout God, brimstone, and fire/ And the smell of Sunday chicken after church/ And I go back to the loss of a real good friend/ And the sixteen summers I shared with him/ Now ‘Only The Good Die Young’ stops me in my tracks/ Every time I hear that song,”

441 - “New York, New York” by Frank Sinatra with Tony Bennett

“Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today/ I want to be a part of it - New York, New York/ These vagabond shoes, are are longing to stray/ Right through the very heart of it - New York, New York”

440 - “Lie to Me” by Bon Jovi

“I know I promised baby/ I would be the one to make our dreams come true/ I ain't too proud of all the struggles/ And the hard times we've been through/ When this cold world comes between us/ Please tell me you'll be brave/ 'Cause I can realize the danger when forgiveness fades away/ If you don't love me - lie to me/ 'Cause baby you're the one thing I believe/ Let it all fall down around us, if that's what's meant to be/ Right now if you don't love me baby - lie to me”

439 - “Moneytalks” by AC/DC

“Yeow! Tailored suits, chauffeured cars, Fine hotels and big cigars/ Up for grabs, all for a price/ Where the red hot girls keep on dancin' through the night./ The claim is on you, the sights are on me/ So what do you do, that's guaranteed?/ Hey little girl, you want it all/ The furs, the diamonds the paintings on the wall./ Come on, come on, lovin' for the money,/ Come on , come on, listen to the money talk”

438 - “I Get Around” by The Beach Boys

“I'm gettin' bugged driving up and down the same old strip/ I gotta finda new place where the kids are hip/ My buddies and me are getting real well known/ Yeah, the bad guys know us and they leave us alone”

437 - “Revolution” by The Beatles

“You say you want a revolution/ Well, you know/ We all want to change the world/ You tell me that it's evolution/ Well, you know/ We all want to change the world/ But when you talk about destruction/ Don't you know that you can count me out/ Don't you know it's gonna be all right/ all right, all right”

436 - “You Better You Bet” by The Who

“When I say I love you you say you better/ You better you better you bet/ When I say I need you you say you better/ You better you better you bet/ You better bet your life/ Or love will cut you like a knife”

435 - “Helter Skelter” by The Beatles

“When I get to the bottom/ I go back to the top of the slide/ Where I stop and turn/ and I go for a ride/ Till I get to the bottom and I see you again/ Yeah, yeah, yeah/ Do you don't you want me to love you/ I'm coming down fast but I'm miles above you/ Tell me tell me come on tell me the answer/ and you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer”

434 - “California Girls” by The Beach Boys

“Well East coast girls are hip/ I really dig those styles they wear/ And the Southern girls with the way they talk/ They knock me out when I'm down there/ The Mid-West farmer's daughters really make you feel alright/ And the Northern girls with the way they kiss/ They keep their boyfriends warm at night”

433 - “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift

“But she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts/ She's Cheer Captain and I'm on the bleachers/ Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find/ That what you're looking for has been here the whole time/ If you could see that I'm the one who understands you/ Been here all along, so why can't you see?/ You, you belong with me, you belong with me”

432 - “Is There Life Out There” by Reba McEntire

“Is there life out there/ So much she hasn't done/ Is there life beyond/ Her family and her home/ She's done what she should/ Should she do what she dares/ She doesn't want to leave/ She's just wondering/ Is there life out there”

431 - “Abraham, Martin and John” by Ray Charles

“Has anybody here seen my old friend John?/ Can you tell me where he’s gone?/ He freed a lot of people, but it seems the good die young, yeah/ I just looked around and he was gone”

430 - “Just Older” by Bon Jovi

“Hey, man, it's been a while/ Do you remember me?/ When I hit the streets I was 17/ A little wild, a little green/ I've been up and down and in between/ After all these years and miles of memories/ I'm still chasing dreams/ But I ain't looking over my shoulder”

429 - “Hells Bells” by AC/DC

“I'm a rolling thunder, pourin’ rain/ I'm comin' down like a hurricane/ My lightning's flashing across the sky/ You're only young but you're gonna die/ I won't take no prisoners, won't spare no lives/ Nobody's putting up a fight/ I got my bell, I'm gonna take you to hell/ I'm gonna get ya, Satan get ya/ Hell's Bells/ Yeah, Hell's Bells/ You got me ringin' Hell's Bells/ My temperature's high, Hell's Bells”

428 - “How Forever Feels” by Kenny Chesney

“Big orange ball, sinkin' in the water./ Toes in the sand, couldn't get much hotter./ Little umbrella shaped margaritas/ Coconut oil, tan senioritas/ Now I know how Jimmy Buffet feels.”

427 - “Two Pina Coladas” by Garth Brooks

“So bring me two pina coladas/ One for each hand/ Let’s set sail with Captain Morgan/ And never leave dry land/ Troubles I forgot ‘em/ I buried ‘em in the sand/ So bring me two pina coladas/ She said good-bye to her good timin’ man”

426 - “Letter to Me” by Brad Paisley

“If I could write a letter to me/ And send it back in time to myself at 17/ First I'd prove it's me by saying look under your bed/ There's a Skoal can and a Playboy no one else would know you hid/ And then I'd say I know it's tough/ When you break up after seven months/ And yeah I know you really liked her and it just don't seem fair/ All I can say is pain like that is fast and it's rare”

425 - “Never Say Goodbye” by Bon Jovi

“As I sit in this smoky room/ The night about to end/ I pass my time with strangers/ But this bottle's my only friend/ Remember when we used to park/ On Butler Street out in the dark/ Remember when we lost the keys/ And you lost more than that in my backseat baby”

424 - “T.N.T.” by AC/DC

“See me ride out of that sunset/ On your color TV screen/ Out for all that I can get/ If you know what I mean/ Women to the left of me/ And women to the right/ Ain't got no gun/ Ain't got no knife/ Don't you start no fight”

423 - “Love in an Elevator” by Aerosmith

“Workin' like a dog for the boss man/ Workin' for the company/ I'm bettin' on the dice I'm tossin'/ I'm gonna have a fantasy”

422 - “The Longest Time” by Billy Joel

“If you said goodbye to me tonight/ There would still be music left to write/ What else could I do/ I'm so inspired by you/ That hasn't happened for the longest time”

421 - “No Woman, No Cry” by Bob Marley

“Ev'rything's gonna be alright/ Ev'rything's gonna be alright/ Ev'rything's gonna be alright/ Ev'rything's gonna be alright”

420 - “I'll Be There For You” by Bon Jovi

“I guess this time you're really leaving/ I heard your suitcase say goodbye/ Well as my broken heart lies bleeding/ you say true love is suicide”

419 - “End of the Road” by Boyz II Men

“Although we’ve come to the end of the road/ Still I can’t let you go/ It’s unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you/ Come to the end of the road/ Still I can’t let you go/ It’s unnatural, you belong to me, I belong to you”

418 - “Me Neither” by Brad Paisley

“Darlin' I've been standin' here just watchin' you all night/ And I think I've even caught you watchin' me a couple times/ If I don't ask I'll never know/ This may sound dumb, but here we go/ Do you believe in love at first sight/ Me neither/ I'm glad that we agree/ Believe me/ That's a big relief/ Well, this place is awful crowded/ And this music is so loud/ Would you like to go and grab a bite to eat/ Me neither”

417 - “When My Ship Comes In” by Clint Black

“Maybe I'm only dreamin' But it sure seems real/ Somehow the wind doesn't chill quite to the bone/ Or could it just be the fever/ I'm runnin' on an uneven keel/ I'm losin sight of why I'm up here alone....”


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Morris Brown, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3, 1863 at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

Captain of the Top Robert Brown (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Richmond. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Richmond in action at Mobile Bay on 5 August 1864. Cool and courageous at his station throughout the prolonged action. Brown rendered gallant service as his vessel trained her guns on Fort Morgan and on ships of the Confederacy despite extremely heavy return fire. He participated in the actions at Forts Jackson and St. Philip, with the Chalmette batteries, at the surrender of New Orleans and in the attacks on batteries below Vicksburg.

Private Robert B. Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 25, 1863 at Missionary Ridge, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Upon reaching the ridge through concentrated fire, he approached the color bearer of the 9th Mississippi Infantry (C.S.A.), demanded his surrender with threatening gesture and took him prisoner with his regimental flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment