Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Happy (late) Birthday DG!!!!!

One bad thing about my recent illness (other than the illness, obviously) is that I somehow missed my dear friend DG’s birthday (this past Saturday). So we at I’m just sayin… would like to take a minute to wish DG a very happy birthday! We hope he had a good one!

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

Remember the NCIS season finale is tonight! I can’t wait!

Before that, though, I hope to be attending Mary Ruth’s graduation from Stallsville Weekday School (her day care). I can’t wait. She’s so excited… I can’t help but be excited for her. I say I hope to be there because I’m still sick. When I went to sleep last night I thought I might be getting better but I woke up again in the middle of the night with a fever. I caught it before it got as high as the night before… but it was still high and I was still miserable.

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time

521 - “Hannah Jane” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“You don’t wanna be alone/ You don’t want to see the sun go down/ You don’t wanna open the door and see her go/ One step and tomorrow comes/ Two steps and she’s off with someone/ Three steps and it’s all you know/ You’ll be gone, she’ll be gone”

I love the beginning of this song.

520 - “Cheeseburger in Paradise” by Jimmy Buffett

“Tried to amend my carnivorous habits./ Made it nearly seventy days,/ Losin' weight without speed-eatin' sunflower seeds,/ Drinkin' lots of carrot juice and soakin' up rays.”

519 - “Come On, Let's Go” by Ritchie Valens

“Well come on let’s go let’s go let’s go little darling/ And tell me that you’ll never leave me/ Come on come on lets go”

518 - “Everybody Hurts” by R.E.M.

“When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,/ When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on./ Don't let yourself go, everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes.”

517 - “Money” by Pink Floyd

“Money, get away/ Get a good job with more pay and your O.K./ Money it's a gas/ Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash/ New car, caviar, four star daydream,/ Think I'll buy me a football team”

516 - “You Can't Hurry Love” by Phil Collins

“My mama said/ You can't hurry love/ No, you'll just have to wait/ She said love don't come easy/ But it's a game of give and take/ You can't hurry love/ No, you'll just have to wait/ Just trust in a good time/ No matter how long it takes”

515 - “Last Kiss” by Pearl Jam

“Oh, where oh where can my baby be?/ The Lord took her away from me/ She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good/ So I can see my baby when I leave this world.”

514 - “Here Today” by Paul McCartney

“And if I say I really knew you well/ What would your answer be?/ If you were here today/ Uh, uh, uh, here today. Well, knowing you/ you’d probably laugh and say/ That we were worlds apart/ If you were here today/ Uh, Uh, Uh, here today”

A nice song about John Lennon.

513 - “And the Cradle Will Rock” by Van Halen

“Well, they say it's kinda frightnin'/ How this younger generation swings/ You know it's more than just some new sensation/ Well, the kid is into losin' sleep/ And he don't come home for half the week/ You know it's more than just an aggravation”

A great David Lee Roth Era Van Halen song. I’m a little shocked that it’s not at least in the Top 100.

512 - “Good Hearted Woman” by Waylon Jennings

“A long time forgotten the dreams that just fell by the way/ The good life he promised ain't what she's livin' today/ But she never complains of the bad times/ Or the bad things he's done, lord/ She just talks about the good times they've had/ And all the good times to come”

511 - “Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers

“Oh, my love, my darling,/ I've hungered for your touch a long, lonely time,/ Time goes by so slowly and time can do so much./ Are you still mine?/ I need your love, I need your love, God speed your love to me.”

510 - “Weed with Willie” by Toby Keith

“Now we learned a hard lesson in a small Texas town/ He fired up a fat boy and he passed it around/ The last words that I spoke before they tucked me in/ I may discount bungee jump/ But I'll never smoke weed with Willie again/ I'll never smoke weed with Willie again/ My parties all over before it begins/ You can pour me some old whiskey river my friend/ But I'll never smoke weed with Willie again”

509 - “Felt Good On My Lips” by Tim McGraw

“Said her name was a hand me down name/ From the side of a family that long ago came/ Over here on a boat from somewhere in Spain/ Sounded to me just a little bit strange, I guess./ But I have to admit, it felt good on my lips.”

508 - “After the Thrill Is Gone” by The Eagles

“What can you do when your dreams come true/ And it's not quite like you planned?/ What have you done to be losing the one/ You held it so tight in your hand well/ Time passes and you must move on,/ Half the distance takes you twice as long/ So you keep on singing for the sake of the song/ After the thrill is gone/ After the thrill is gone”

I might be wrong about this, but I want to say the band broke up… er… took a break after the album containing this song was released.

507 - “I Count The Tears” by The Drifters

“She’s gone and found somebody new/ He may be happy now but soon/ He’ll be counting everyday that she’s been away/ It’ll seem like a thousand years”

506 - “I Fought The Law” by The Bobby Fuller Four

“I'm breakin' rocks in the hot sun/ I fought the law and the law won/ I fought the law and the law won/ I needed money 'cause I had none/ I fought the law and the law won/ I fought the law and the law won”

505 - “With a Little Help From My Friends” by The Beatles

“What would you think if I sang out of tune,/ Would you stand up and walk out on me./ Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,/ And I'll try not to sing out of key./ Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,/ Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,/ Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends.”

A great Beatles song with Ringo on lead vocals.

504 - “Still Cruisin” by The Beach Boys

“Hey girl let's go for a spin/ Hop in my hot rod and do it again/ You've got a greenhouse effect on me/ I know a secret spot/ Paradise by the sea/ We'll find a place to park/ That's kinda cool after dark”

A Beach Boys song from their later years.

503 - “Fat Bottomed Girls” by Queen

“Now I got mortgages on homes/ I got stiffness in my bones/ Ain't no beauty queens in this locality. (I tell ya!)/ Oh, but I still get my pleasure/ Still got my greatest treasure./ Hey big woman you done made a big man of me!”

502 - “Little Red Corvette” by Prince

“I guess I should've known by the way you parked your car sideways/ That it wouldn't last/ See, you're the kinda person that believes in makin' out once/ Love 'em and leave 'em fast/ I guess I must be dumb ‘cause you had a pocket full of horses/ Trojan and some of them used/ But it was Saturday night, I guess that makes it all right/ And you say - "What have I got to lose?"”

501 - “Hell Yeah” by Montgomery Gentry

“He's the product of the Haggard generation/
He's got a redneck side when you get him agitated/
He got the gold toothed look from a stiff right hook/
He's proud he took for his right wing stand on Vietnam/
Says he lost his brother there/

He yells out Johnny Cash/ And the band starts to play/ A ring of fire as he walks up/ And stands there by the stage/ And he says/ Hell yeah!/ Turn it up!/ Right on!/ Hell yeah!/ Sounds good!/ Sing that song!/ Guitar man playin' all night long/ Take me back to where the music hit me/ Life was good and love was easy”

500 - “The Way You Make Me Feel” by Michael Jackson

“Hey Pretty Baby With The/ High Heels On/ You Give Me Fever/ Like I've Never, Ever Known/ You're Just A Product Of/ Loveliness/ I Like The Groove Of/ Your Walk,/ Your Talk, Your Dress/ I Feel Your Fever/ From Miles Around/ I'll Pick You Up In My Car/ And We'll Paint The Town/ Just Kiss Me Baby/ And Tell Me Twice/ That You're The One For Me”

499 - “I'm Already There” by Lonestar

“He called her on the road/ From a lonely cold hotel room/ Just to hear her say I love you one more time/ And when he heard the sound/ Of the kids laughing in the background/ He had to wipe away a tear from his eye/ A little voice came on the phone/ And said ‘Daddy when you coming home’/ He said the first thing that came to his mind”

A very sweet song. The kind of song that could bring a tear to your eye… unless you’re heartless… or out drinking with your buddies.

498 - “Travelin' Man” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“I was born a travelin' man, that's all I'll ever be/ Moving around from town to town is what makes me so free/ My father was a trucker for the years of 23/ On the day that I was born his truck was left to me/ I'm a travelin' man/ Travelin' Man -- that's what I am/ Travelin' Man/ Travelin' Man/ That's what I am”

497 - “If You Don't Like Hank Williams” by Hank Williams, Jr.

“I love all them Allman Brothers, Merle Haggard, and George Jones/ Shotgun Willie Nelson and them rockin' rollin' Stones/ Everything the Eagles do, and I'm in love with Linda Rondstat/ Anybody that don't like Hank Williams, you can kiss our ass”

496 - “Buffalo Soldier” by Bob Marley

“If you know your history,/ Then you would know where you coming from,/ Then you wouldn’t have to ask me,/ Who the heck do you think I am.”

495 - “Caught Up In You” by .38 Special

“It took so long to change my mind/ I thought that love was a game/ I played around enough to find/ No two are ever the same/ You made me realized the love I missed/ So hot! Love I couldn't quite resist/ When it's right the light just comes shining through.”

494 - “I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool” by Barbara Mandrell with George Jones

“I remember circlin' the drive-in/ pullin' up and turnin' down George Jones/ I remember when no one was lookin'/ I was puttin' peanuts in my Coke/ I took a lot of kiddin', 'cause I never did fit in/ now look at everybody tryin' to be what I was then/ I was Country, when Country wasn't cool”

This is a great song. I have heard it covered by some other people. Reba covered it and I might have put her version on the list except that she sang it with Kenny Chesney. Now, I’ve got nothing against Kenny… I just don’t think he was country when country wasn’t cool. He’s from Tennessee for crying out loud! Country has been cool there since before he was born! I could be wrong… but I just find it hard to believe that he was country when country wasn’t cool.

493 - “Bad Medicine” by Bon Jovi

“I ain't got a fever got a permanent disease/ It'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy/ got lots of money but it isn't what I need/ Gonna take more than a shot to get this poison out of me/ I got all the symptoms count 'em 1,2,3”

492 - “Crocodile Rock” by Elton John

“I remember when rock was young/ Me and Susie had so much fun/ holding hands and skipping stones/ Had an old gold Chevy and a place of my own/ But the biggest kick I ever got/ was doing a thing called the Crocodile Rock/ While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock/ we were hopping and bopping to the Crocodile Rock”

491 - “All Those Years Ago” by George Harrison

“I'm shouting all about love/ While they treated you like a dog/ When you were the one who had made it/ so clear/ All those years ago./ I'm talking all about how to give/ They don't act with much honesty/ But you point the way to the truth when you say/ All you need is love.”

Another song by a former Beatle that was inspired by the death of John Lennon.

490 - “I Gotta Get Drunk” by George Jones with Willie Nelson

“Well I gotta get drunk and I sure do dread it/ ‘Cause I know just what I’m gonna do/ Gonna spend my money callin’ everybody honey/ And wind up singin’ the blues”

This reminds me of college.

489 - “I Drink Alone” by George Thorogood

“The other night I laid sleeping/ And I woke from a terrible dream/ So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's/ And his partner Jimmy Beam/ And we drank alone, yeah/ With nobody else/ Yeah, you know when I drink alone/ I prefer to be by myself”

Same thing for this song.

488 - “We're an American Band” by Grand Funk Railroad

“We're an American band./ We're an American band./ We're coming to your town, we'll help you party it down./ We're an American band.”

487 - “Hold My Hand” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“With a little love, and some tenderness/ We'll walk upon the water/ We'll rise above this mess/ With a little peace, and some harmony/ We'll take the world together/ We'll take 'em by the hand”


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain of the Forecastle John Brown (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864 on board the USS Brooklyn. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite severe damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks from stem to stern, Brown fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the furious battle which resulted in the surrender of the prize rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

First Sergeant John H. Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 19, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Voluntarily carried a verbal message from Col. A. C. Parry to Gen. Hugh Ewing through a terrific fire and in plain view of the enemy.

Captain John Harties Brown (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 30, 1864 at Franklin, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment