Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 6, 2011

Picture this... The Countdown continues (906 - 872)

Before we start, I would like to wish our favorite nurse (Jen W) a very Happy Nurse's Day!  As you know, Nurse Jen is a big reason why we at I'm just sayin... will only take our children to our favorite Children's Hospital.  Thanks for all you do!

For what it’s worth, I don’t need to see the picture of Bin Laden. I’m not really in to looking at pictures like that. If others want to see it, fine… but it’s not my thing. I’d rather look at pics like this:



She wanted to feed herself.  It sounded like a good idea at the time...

What I’m about to say is based on the info (or assumption, at least) that Pakistan didn’t tell us where Bin Laden was. So… why exactly do we need to send money to Pakistan? We need them to be our friends? Why? They were hiding THE guy we wanted. If they aren’t going to tell us about that… then what’s the point in sending all this money to them? I mean, what’s the point of having the greatest military in the world if we have to pay people to be our friends? We’ve got enough friends who we don’t have to pay (I’m pretty sure we aren’t paying them). If anything, we should make THEM pay US if they want to be our friends. That’s how it worked where I grew up. The big kid didn’t pay to be friends… the big kid got paid to be friends. And really, if you have to pay them, they aren’t your friend… they’re a prostitute. I’m just sayin…

906 - “Joey” by Bon Jovi

“Joey Keys was from my neighborhood/ Some would say that he was bad and Joe thought that was good/ Joey got the name "Keys" picking locks/ He never really robbed no one; it sure amused the cops”

I like the lyrics to this one. I don’t think it is one of their more well known songs, but it’s still good.

905 - “Runaway” by Bon Jovi

“Ooh, she's a little runaway/ Daddy's girl learned fast/ All those things he couldn't say/ Ooh, she's a little runaway”

I might be wrong, but I think this was the first hit that the group had.

904 - “Then” by Brad Paisley

“I remember, trying not to stare the night that I first met you/ You had me mesmerized/ And three weeks later, in the front porch light/ Taking forty-five minutes to kiss goodnight/ I hadn't told you yet/ But I thought I loved you then”

This is a great slow song.

903 - “Breakfast At Tiffany's” by Deep Blue Something

“And I said what about “Breakfast at Tiffany’s?/ She said, “I think I remember the film/ And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it”./ And I said, “Well, that’s the one thing we’ve got”

This is the kind of pop-like song that I feel like I shouldn’t like and yet, I do.

902 - “Dirt Road Anthem” by Jason Aldean

“Yeah, I'm chillin' on a dirt road/ Laid back swervin' like I'm George Jones./ Smoke rollin' out the window/ An' ice cold beer sittin' in the console.”

This is a great song. I mixture of a kind of mellow/slow singing chorus which then goes into a fast kind of Country rap.

901 - “It Wasn't Me” by Shaggy with RikRok

“To be a true player you have to know how to play/ If she say a night, convince her say a day/ Never admit to a word when she say makes a claim/ And you tell her baby no way”

I heard this song in college… and I fell in love with it right away. It’s so great.

900 - “We Built This City” by Starship

“Someone's always playing corporation games/ Who cares they're always changing corporation names/ We just want to dance here, someone stole the stage/ They call us irresponsible, write us off the page”

I know some people (like Jeremy) will argue that this song is in the wrong spot (he thinks it’s the #1 [worst] song ever)… but I love this song. I built this blog on rock ‘n roll.

899 - “New York Minute” by The Eagles

“Harry got up/ Dressed all in black/ Went down to the station/ And he never came back/ They found his clothing/ Scattered somewhere down the track/ And he won't be down on Wall Street/ in the morning”

This is a great slow song.

898 - “Don't Worry Baby” by The Beach Boys

“Don't worry baby/ Don't worry baby/ Everything will turn out alright”

A great old slow song. Their vocals were just great.

897 - “Look But You Can't Touch” by Poison

“Well maybe I'm a bad boy/ OK, so I've been around the block/ But I am good at one thing/ And believe me it ain't talk”

I loved hearing them sing this song live. And I didn’t mind how some of the better looking female fans at the concert reacted to this song. There was a lot to look at. Ah… college days.

896 - “Two Out of Three Ain't Bad” by Meat Loaf

“I want you/ I need you/ But there ain't no way/ I'm ever gonna love you/ Now don't be sad/ 'Cause two out of three ain't bad”

I love how this song starts one way and then… BOOM… goes a different (and much funnier) way.

895 - “Peaceful Easy Feeling” by Little Texas

“'Cause I got a peaceful easy feeling/ And I know you won't let me down/ 'Cause I'm already standing on the ground”

I believe this is a cover of an Eagles song. I like this one better than the Eagles version.

894 - “Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John

“Cause I live and breathe this Philadelphia freedom/ From the day that I was born I've waved the flag/ Philadelphia freedom took me knee-high to a man/ Yeah gave me peace of mind my daddy never had”

An upbeat song written for Billie Jean King.

893 - “Lonely Nights” by Bryan Adams

“I hear every word you're sayin'/ They're all lies./ But with every breath you're takin'/ You're thinkin' of ways to say good night.”

A nice song from my Bryan Adams days.

892 - “Too Country” by Brad Paisley

“Is the grace too amazing is the steeple too tall/ Are there too many "yes sir's", "yes ma'am's"/ And "how're y'all's"/ Is the message too real too close to the bone/ Do the fiddle and steel remind you too much of home”

A nice little song defending Country music.

891 - “All About Lovin' You” by Bon Jovi

“I've lived, I've loved, I've lost, I've paid some dues, baby/ We've been to hell and back again/ Through it all you're always my best friend/ For all the words I didn't say and all the things I didn't do/ Tonight I'm gonna find a way”

This song is pretty much what I say to The Wife every day.

890 - “Letters From Home” by John Michael Montgomery

“I hold it up and show my buddies,/ Like we ain't scared and our boots ain't muddy, but no one laughs/ 'Cause there ain't nothing funny when a soldier cries./ An' I just wipe me eyes./ I fold it up an' put it in my shirt/ Pick up my gun an' get back to work./ An' it keeps me driving me on/ Waiting on letters from home.”

This is a great song that, honestly, made me tear up a little when I first heard it.

889 - “If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me” by Jimmy Buffett

“If the phone doesn't ring/ You'll know that it's me /I'll be out in the eye of the storm/ If the phone doesn't ring/ You know that I'll be/ Where someone can make me feel warm”

I said this to an ex-girlfriend one time. Ok, I didn’t exactly say it to her… I said it to the phone after she hung up. But I think that still counts.

888 - “Crazy Town” by Jason Aldean

“It's a crazy town full of neon dreams/
Everybody plays, everybody sings/ Hollywood with a touch of twang/ To be a star you gotta bang bang bang,/ Bend those strings 'till the Hank comes out/ Make all the drunk girls scream and shout/ We love it we hate it we're all just trying to make it/ In this crazy town,”

I like the up beat, party feel of this song.

887 - “Nasty” by Janet Jackson

“I'm not a prude, I just want some respect/ So close the door if you want me to respond/ 'Cause privacy is my middle name/ My last name is control/ No, my first name ain't baby, it's Janet/ Ms. Jackson if you're nasty”

Hello, Ms. Jackson.

886 - “Watching Airplanes” by Gary Allan

“I would've lied, could've cried/ Should've tried harder/ Done anything to make you stay/ I wonder what you'd do if you looked out your window/ And saw me runnin' down the runway just like I was crazy/ But that fence is too high/ So am I”

I love the lyrics of this song (especially the above lyrics).

885 - “Can't Take My Eyes Off of You” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

“You're just too good to be true./ Can't take my eyes off you./ You'd be like Heaven to touch./ I wanna hold you so much./ At long last love has arrived/ And I thank God I'm alive./ You're just too good to be true./ Can't take my eyes off you.”

Really, if you didn’t know any better you would think that I wrote this song for The Wife.

884 - “I'll Be” by Edwin McCain

“I'll be your crying shoulder/ I'll be love's suicide/ I'll be better when I'm older/ I'll be the greatest fan of your life.”

The Wife likes this song… I like it too, but not as much as she does.

883 - “Sweet Little Sixteen” by Chuck Berry

“They're really rockin Boston/ In Pittsburgh, P. A./ Deep in the heart of Texas/
And 'round the Frisco Bay/ All over St. Louis/ Way down in New Orleans/ All the Cats wanna dance with/ Sweet Little Sixteen”

Chuck Berry… what a great singer. And this is a great song.

882 - “Start A Band” by Brad Paisley with Keith Urban

“Start a band, Scrape up some money, buy a van/ Learn free bird and ramblin’ man/ Never buy another beer again”

This is a fun song by a couple of big names in Country music. You will also note he doesn’t recommend learning Smells Like Teen Spirit. I’m just sayin…

881 - “Smokin'” by Boston

“We're getting' high today/ We'll pick you up and take you away, get down tonight/ Yea you know we're getting high today/ We'll pick you up and take you way get down tonight Alright!”

I love the music in this one… especially at the beginning.

880 - “Welcome to Wherever You Are” by Bon Jovi

“Welcome to wherever you are/ This is your life, you made it this far/ Welcome, you gotta believe/ That right here right now, you're exactly where you're supposed to be/ Welcome, to wherever you are”

This is on here because of the lyrics. So great.

879 - “Where Is The Love?” by Black Eyed Peas

“But if you only have love for your own race/ Then you only leave space to discriminate/ And to discriminate only generates hate/ And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah”

I like the delivery of the lyrics in this one.

878 - “Crazy” by Aerosmith

“Say you're leavin' on the seven thirty train/ And that you're heading out to Hollywood/ Girl, you've been givin' me that line so many times/ It kinda gets that feelin' bad looks good, yeah”

I think Aerosmith came out with about two or three songs around this time that all kind of sounded the same. I like the lyrics to this one.

877 - “Fantasy Girl” by .38 Special

“In my minds eye/ I see clearly a vision of how it could be/ Me and my fantasy girl/ Hold on to me/ Be my fantasy girl/ Don’t set me free”

Here’s a song I sing while thinking about The Wife.

876 - “Who Says You Can't Go Home” by Bon Jovi

“I spent 20 years trying to get out of this place/ I was looking for something I couldn't replace/ I was running away from the only thing I've ever known/ Like a blind dog without a bone/ I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone/ I hijacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold/ I been there, done thatand I ain't lookin' back on the seeds I've sown/ Saving dimes, spending too much time on the telephone/ Who says you can't go home”

This is a faster version of the song… I think there is a different version of the song later in this list.

875 - “School Days” by Chuck Berry

“Up in the mornin' and out to school/ The teacher is teachin' the Golden Rule/ American history and practical math/ You study' em hard and hopin' to pass/ Workin' your fingers right down to the bone/ And the guy behind you won't leave you alone”

I remember Dad singing (if we can really call it singing) this song (or parts of it, at least) around the house around the beginning of the school year each year. And he would sing the first two lines just about every morning I had school. Somehow, I still like it.

874 - “Satellite” by Dave Matthews Band

“Satellite in my eyes/ Like a diamond in the sky/ How I wonder/ Satellite strung from the moon/ And the world your balloon/ Peeping Tom for the mother station”

There are not many DMB songs I like, but this is one. Kind of a slow song.

873 - “Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning” by Alan Jackson

“I'm just a singer of simple songs/ I'm not a real political man/ I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell/ You the difference in Iraq and Iran/ But I know Jesus and I talk to God/ And I remember this from when I was young/ Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us/ And the greatest is love”

This is a GREAT song. How it’s not ranked in at least the Top 500 is beyond me. For me, this song nails the feeling of 9/11. I can remember it really felt to me like the world had stopped turning on that day.

872 - “Rockin' All Over the World” by John Fogerty

“A giddy-up, a giddy-up and get away/ We're going crazy and we're going today./ Here we go rockin' all over the world.”

I like it, I like it, I like it, like it, I la-la-like it. (Listen to the song or find the full lyrics if you don’t understand).

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Cabin Boy Christopher Brennan (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from April 24-25, 1862 on board the USS Mississippi. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Mississippi during attacks on Forts Jackson and St. Philip and during the taking of New Orleans, 24-25 April 1862. Taking part in the actions which resulted in the damaging of the Mississippi and several casualties on it, Brennan showed skill and courage throughout the entire engagements which resulted in the taking of St. Philip and Jackson and in the surrender of New Orleans.

Watertender Patrick Francis Bresnahan (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 25, 1905 on board the USS Iowa. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Iowa for extraordinary heroism at the time of the blowing out of the manhole plate of boiler D on board that vessel, 25 January 1905.

Private Lewis F. Brest (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1865 at Sailors Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment