Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, May 8, 2011

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!!!!!!

We at I’m just sayin… would like to send out a very HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to all the mothers out there reading this blog. We hope all of you have a great day! We would also like to send a special Happy Mother’s Day to my Mom. She is (and has always been) a great mother. I know her other two children don’t treat her as well as I do, but like any great mother… she still loves them (not as much as she loves me, of course… but she still loves them).

I thought a great Mother’s Day gift for the kids to give The Wife would be a day alone together. Just the four of them with me out of the way. She did not agree.

We went down to see Mom… I guessed we must have just missed Sonny and No Name Teri. I cleaned Mom and Dad’s gutters while we were down there. Sound strange? Yeah… I agree. The strange little secret in our family is that I’m the only one who seems to have an obsession with gutter maintenance. This is strange because it’s the only kind of maintenance I seem to care about at all. If they didn’t put the sticker on my windshield, I doubt I’d ever get my oil changed. I don’t cut the grass in my yard until I can’t see Maverick when he’s out there. But for some reason, I can’t stand a clogged gutter. So I cleaned it (and ended up filling up a full sized outdoor trashcan with leaves and pine straw. I also ended up killing a little baby pine tree that was growing in the gutter. It’s true… I have the picture on my phone to prove it.

Let’s get back to our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


836 - “I'm on Fire” by Bruce Springsteen

“Hey little girl is your daddy home/ Did he go away and leave you all alone/ I got a bad desire/ I'm on fire”

I like the music in this song.

835 - “One For Rock and Roll” by Cinderella

“I was born on the dawn of a new society/ And I feel lucky that my eyes could see/ People standing up and being/ Who they want to be/ People made the music
and the music set them free”

I you were to hear this song on the radio without knowing who was singing it, you’d think it was a Country song.

834 - “I'm Still Standing” by Elton John

“Once I never could hope to win/ You starting down the road leaving me again/ The threats you made were meant to cut me down/ And if our love was just a circus you'd be a clown by now”

A great song to listen to when things aren’t going well.

833 - “Mack the Knife” by Frank Sinatra with Jimmy Buffett

“You better lock your door/ And call the law/ Because Mack he/ He’s come back to town”

I love how it sounds like they’re having fun singing this song.

832 - “Araby” Hootie and the Blowfish

“We can move and be trusted/ But what is it that you want?/ It is not what they think/ Yeah what is it that you want?”

It took a while for this song to grow on me, but I really like the chorus.

831 - “Hicktown” by Jason Aldean

“Well you can see the neighbors butt crack nailing on his shingles/ And his woman’s’ smokin’ Pall Mall’s watchin’ Laura Ingalls/ And Granny’s getting’ lit she’s headin’ out to bingo/ Yeah my buddies and me are goin’ muddin’ down on Blue Hole Road/ You know You know”

I like the tempo of this song.

830 - “Whatever Gets You Thru the Night” by John Lennon

“Whatever gets you through your life/ 'salright, 'salright/ Do it wrong or do it right/ 'salright, 'salright/ Don't need a watch to waste your time/ oh no, oh no”

A pretty good song with John Lennon on his own.

829 - “There Goes My Life” by Kenny Chesney

“He smiles/ There goes my life/ There goes my future my everything/ I love you, daddy goodnight/ There goes my life”

A good slow Country song.

828 - “Bright Lights” by Matchbox Twenty

“She got out of town on the railway, New York bound/ Took all except my name/ Another alien on Broadway/ Well, some things in this world you just can't change/ Some things you can't see until it gets too late”

I really like the lyrics in their songs. This one is no exception.

827 - “Dreamlover” by Mariah Carey

“Dreamlover come rescue me/ Take me up take me down/ Take me anywhere you want to baby now/ I need you so desperately/ Won't you please come around/ 'Cause I wanna share forever with you baby”

She’s great at songs like this.

826 - “All Summer Long” by Kid Rock

“And we were trying different things/ We were smoking funny things/ Making love out by the lake to our favorite song/ Sipping whiskey out the bottle, not thinking 'bout tomorrow/ Singing Sweet home Alabama all summer long/ Singing Sweet home Alabama all summer long”

This is a fun “Summer” type song. And I love the reference to Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Sweet Home Alabama… I doubt anyone will ever sing about singing a Nirvana song all summer long.

825 - “Don't Ask Me No Questions” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“I appreciate your feelings/ And I don't want to pass you by/ But I don't ask you 'bout your business/ Don't ask me about mine”

Lyrics and music… this song has it all.

824 - “Ebony and Ivory” by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder

“Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony/ Side my side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why don’t we”

It’s always fun when two icons in the music industry team up for a song.

823 - “This Old Heart of Mine” by Rod Stewart with Ronald Isley

“This old heart of mine been broke a thousand times./ Each time you break away, feel you're gone to stay./ Lonely nights that come, memories that go/ bringing you back again, hurting me more and more.”

Great lyrics.

822 - “Me and My Gang” by Rascal Flatts

“Way on down to southern Alabama/ With the guitars jammin' that's where we're headed/ Straight up to Butte, Montana singin' Lord I was born a ramblin' man/ California to Oregon/ Even New York City got one or two hillbillies ready to hit the road”

This is just a fun, up-tempo song.

821 - “Nightswimming” by R.E.M.

“Nightswimming deserves a quiet night./ The photograph on the dashboard, taken years ago/ Turned around backwards so the windshield shows./ Every streetlight reveals the picture in reverse./ Still, it's so much clearer./ I forgot my shirt at the water's edge./ The moon is low tonight.”

This is just a great slow song.

820 - “Look What the Cat Dragged In” by Poison

“Oh my god look what the cat dragged in/ Livin' my life sin after sin/ Night rolls up and I do it again/ Oh my god, look what the cat dragged in”

I’ve had nights like this… or at least morning after nights like this.

819 - “Lyin' Eyes” by The Eagles

“You can't hide your lyin' eyes/ And your smile is a thin disguise/ I thought by now you'd realize/ There ain't no way to hide your lyin eyes”

A great slow song.

818 - “Saturday Night at the Movies” by The Drifters

“Saturday night at the movies/ Who cares what picture you see/ When you’re hugging with your baby/ In the last row in the balcony”

I love the lyrics to this song.

817 - “Love Me Do” by The Beatles

“Love, love me do/ You know I love you/ I'll always be true/ So please, love me do/ Whoa, love me do”

Another good Beatles song on the list.

816 - “God Only Knows” by The Beach Boys

“If you should ever leave me/ Though life would still go on, believe me/ The world could show nothing to me/ So what good would livin' do me/ God only knows what I'd be without you”

Great vocals in this one.

815 - “My Town” by Montgomery Gentry

“Well, I bought and painted up that rusty tractor./ You can't miss it, it's sittin' right there in our yard./ The County came and took that water tower/ And that's Jenny, with a baby, in the car./ Ah, we're off to Sunday service at the Church of Christ/ And if we want a seat, we better leave right now./ And maybe later, me an old T-roy will show you around/ Our town.”

The music is good, but I really like the lyrics to this song.

814 - “If You're Gone” by Matchbox Twenty

“I think you're so mean, I think we should try/ I think I could need this in my life/ And I think I'm scared, do I talk too much/ I know it's wrong, it's a problem I'm dealing/ If you're gone maybe it's time to come home/ There's an awful lot of breathing room but I can hardly move/ And if you're gone, yeah, baby, you need to come home/ There's a little bit of something me in everything in you”

I like the chorus to this song.

813 - “Wheel in the Sky” by Journey

“I've been trying to make it home/ Got to make it before too long/ I can't take this very much longer/ I'm stranded in the sleet and rain/ Don't think I'm ever gonna make it home again/ The mornin' sun is risin'/ It's kissing the day”

Just assume that any Journey song on here is with Steve Perry as the lead vocal. This is just one of many good songs from them on this list.

812 - “Cumblin' Down” by John Mellencamp

“Some people ain't no damn good/ You can't trust 'em/ You can't love em/ No good deed goes unpunished/ And I don't mind being their whipping boy/ I've had that pleasure/ For years and years”

I like chorus in this one.

811 - “Straight Tequila Night” by John Anderson

“Don't ask her on a straight tequila night./ She'll start thinkin' about him, then she's ready to fight./ Blames her broken heart on every man in sight/ On a straight tequila night.”

A fun little song about a woman scorned.

810 - “How's My Ex Treating You” by Hank Williams, Jr.

“Anyday now will be the last. Son I know well from past./ 'Cause I was once, once there too./ How's my Ex treating you?”

An old funny Country song.

809 - “Breakup Song” by Greg Kihn

“We had broken up for good just an hour before/ Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah./ And now I'm staring at the bodies as they're dancing 'cross the floor./ Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah./ And then the band slowed the tempo, and the music gets you down./ Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah./ It was the same old song, with a melancholy sound./ Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah.”

There’s something about the vocals to this song that I like.

808 - “Cryin'” by Aerosmith

“I was cryin' when I met you/ Now I'm tryin' to forget you/ Love is sweet misery/ I was cryin' just to get you/ Now I'm dyin' cause I let you/ Do what you do - down on me”

Another pretty good Aerosmith song for the list.

807 - “Straight from the Heart” by Bryan Adams

“Give it to me straight from the heart/ Tell me we can make another start/
You know I'll never go/ As long as I know/ It's comin' straight from the heart”

Not sure I would have had this song ranked so high… but middle school Greg was a fan.

806 - “Along Comes A Woman” by Chicago

“Then along comes a woman/ There's a change in the way that you're feelin' tonight/ Then along comes a woman/ And you know that it's right”

This great song has it all… lyrics and music.

805 - “Coming Home” by Cinderella

“I took a walk down a road/ It’s the road I was meant to stay/ I see the fire in your eyes/ But a man’s got to make his way/ So are you tough enough for my love/ Just close your eyes to the heaven above/ I’m coming home/ I’m coming home”

This is another song that could very well be played on Country radio stations these days, but was considered Rock back in the day.

804 - “Accidentally In Love” by Counting Crows

“Come on, come on/ Turn a little faster/ Come on, come on/ The world will follow after/ Come on, come on/ Cause everybody's after love”

I like the music in this one.

803 - “In a Big Way” by Darius Rucker

“I may wake in the mornin' in Dallas/ I went to bed in Tennessee/ I need someone tellin' me where I am sometimes/ And where I'm supposed to be/ Sometimes I wanna be George Jones/ Sometimes Charley Pride/ But all I want to be right now/ Is with my baby tonight (cause)”

I like the chorus of this song… and the above lyrics

802 - “Jimi Thing” by Dave Matthews Band

“Sometimes a Jimi Thing slides my way and keeps me swinging/ I'd like to show you what's inside/ And I shouldn't care/ If you don't like it/ Brother chaos rule all about/ Sometimes I walk there/ Well yes God knows sometimes I take a bus there/ Shouldn't care shouldn't care/ Bereaved as I'm feeling”

I think there is just one more DMB song on the list after this one.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Charles Breyer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 23, 1862 at Rappahannock Station, Virginia. His citation reads:

Voluntarily, and at great personal risk, picked up an unexploded shell and threw it away, thus doubtless saving the life of a comrade whose arm had been taken off by the same shell.

Corporal Elijah A. Briggs (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 3, 1865 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of battle flag.

Coal Passer George Washington Bright (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898 on board the USS Nashville. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Nashville during the cutting of the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Bright set an example of extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

No comments:

Post a Comment