Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, May 28, 2011

Songs 136 - 102

Don’t forget, Darius Rucker will honor Pattison's Academy should he win CMT Performance of the year! This is a FAN supported contest. Click here to vote for Darius and you'll be voting for Pattison's!!

We will now continue our countdown of the I’m just sayin… Top 1,081 Songs of All Time


136 - “Get Drunk and Be Somebody” by Toby Keith

135 - “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison

134 - “I Love This Bar” by Toby Keith

133 - “Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen From Mars” by Bon Jovi

I didn’t like this song until I saw them play it live… Now I love it.

132 - “What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)” by The Tams

I’m sure The Parents will be happy to see The Tams on the list… maybe I did pay attention growing up after all.

131 - “An American Girl” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

130 - “Toes” by Zac Brown Band

“Adios and vaya con dios/ Going home now to stay/ The senoritas don't care-o when there's no dinero/ I got no money to stay/ Adios and vaya con dios/ Going home now to stay/ Put my ass in a lawn chair/ And toes in the clay/ Not a worry in the world a PBR on the way/ Life is good today. Life is good today”

129 - “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor

Best workout song ever? I could agree with that.

128 - “Maybe I'm Amazed” by Paul McCartney

The first time I heard this song was when Tesla started to play the first couple of verses between songs on their live album (they sang, “Maybe I’m amazed at the way you love me all the time. Maybe I’m amazed at the… wait, we don’t know that song”). I had no idea it was a Paul McCartney song until I saw the title on one of his CDs a couple of years later.

127 - “With a Little Help From My Friends” by Joe Cocker

His voice and this song just go great together.

126 - “The Gambler” by Kenny Rogers

125 - “Out Last Night” by Kenny Chesney

“Well we went out last night,/ Like we swore we wouldn't do,/ Drank too much beer last night,/ A lot more than we wanted too,/ There were girls from Argentina and Arkansas,/ Maine, Alabama, and Panama,/ All mixed together and having a ball,/ Yeah, we went out last night/ One thing started leading to another,/ Out last night,/ Hitting on everybody and their mother/ There were two karaoke girls drunk on a dare,/ Singing ‘I Got You Babe’ by Sonny and Cher,/ Yeah life was good everywhere,/ We went out last night”

124 - “I Love Rock 'n' Roll” by Joan Jett

123 - “Running on Empty” by Jackson Browne

122 - “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher” by Jackie Wilson

121 - “Do You Believe In Love” by Huey Lewis and The News

120 - “I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You” by Hootie and the Blowfish

“Now it's closing time, the music's fading out./ Last call for drinks, I'll have another stout./ Well I turn around to look at you; you're nowhere to be found,/ I search the place for your lost face,/ Guess I'll have another round./ And I think that I just fell in love with you.”

I wish I could sing this song as well as Darius can. Another great cover song from Hootie (Tom Waits did it first).

119 - “Knockin' on Heaven's Door” by Eric Clapton

118 - “Knockin' on Heaven's Door” by Guns N' Roses

117 - “House Rent Boogie/One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer” by George Thorogood

“But I'm sitting now at the bar,/ I'm getting drunk, I'm feelin' mellow/ I'm drinkin' bourbon, I'm drinkin' scotch, I'm drinkin' beer/ Looked down the bar, here come the bartender/ I said ‘Look man, come down here’/ So what you want?/ One bourbon, one scotch, one beer/ No, I ain't seen my baby since the night before last,/ Gotta get a drink man, I'm gonna get gassed/ Gonna get high man, I ain't had enough,/ Need me a triple shot of that stuff/ Gonna get drunk, won't you listen right here,/ I want one bourbon, one shot and one beer/ One bourbon, one scotch, one beer”

My research tells me that his version of One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer is really a combo of House Rent Boogie and that song. So that’s how I put it that way on this list.

116 - “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks

“'Cause I've got friends in low places/ Where the whiskey drowns/ And the beer chases my blues away/ And I'll be okay/ I'm not big on social graces/ Think I'll slip on down to the oasis/ Oh, I've got friends in low places”

Mom used to like hearing me sing this song… at least that’s what she told me.

115 - “Pledge Allegiance To The Hag” by Eric Church

“There's a little dive on a dead-end road/ Called the Cross-Eyed Cricket Waterin' Hole/ Where you can hear the sound of a steel guitar/ An' get loud an' rowdy with PBR/ But at the top of every hour, man, you can hear a pin drop/ As ol' Jack drops a quarter an' plays Merle on that jukebox, an' we stop/ An' tip our hats/ An' raise our glasses of cold, cold beer/ They say country's fadin'/ But we still wavin' that flag around here/ An' when it's time to go, you know you're welcome back/ Where the people pledge allegiance to the Hag”

I’m 99% sure I have more songs on this list that mention Merle Haggard than I do songs by Merle Haggard. Interesting…

114 - “Make Me Lose Control” by Eric Carmen

113 - “Suspicious Minds” by Elvis Presley

112 - “Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me” by Elton John with George Michael

111 - “You Never Even Called Me by My Name” by David Allan Coe

“You don't have to call me Waylon Jennings/ And you don't have to call me Charley Pride./ You don't have to call me Merle Haggard, anymore./ Even though your on my fightin' side./ And I'll hang around as long as you will let me/ And I never minded standin' in the rain./ You don't have to call me darlin', darlin'/ You never even call me by my name.”

I love singing this song with thousands of my closest friends at Hootie and the Blowfish concerts.

110 - “Proud Mary” by Creedence Clearwater Revival

109 - “Shelter Me” by Cinderella

“Check out Mr. Politician in his suit and tie/ But when the doors are closed there ain't nothin' he won't try/ Meanwhile Mr. Medicine's treating his best friend's wife/ Tipper led the war against the record industry/ She said she saw the devil on her MTV/ To look into the cabinet, it takes more than a key/ Just like Jimmy's skeletons and his ministry/ We all need a little shelter/ Just a little helper to get us by/ We all need a little shelter/ Just a little helper, Ooo and it'll be alright”

Did you know Jon Bon Jovi discovered Cinderella? Pretty cool if you ask me.

108 - “The Twist” by Chubby Checker

107 - “Born in the USA” by Bruce Springsteen

106 - “Waitin' On A Woman” by Brad Paisley with Andy Griffith

105 - “Let The Good Times Roll” by B.B. King

104 - “Folsom Prison Blues” by Johnny Cash

103 - “Do You Love Me” by The Contours

102 - “Wanted Dead or Alive” by Bon Jovi



Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant John C. Buckley (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

First Lieutenant John K. Bucklyn (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 3, 1863 at Chancellorsville, Virginia. His citation reads:

Though himself wounded, gallantly fought his section of the battery under a fierce fire from the enemy until his ammunition was all expended, many of the cannoneers and most of the horses killed or wounded, and the enemy within 25 yards of the guns, when, disabling one piece, he brought off the other in safety.

Sergeant John E. Buffington (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865 at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Was the first enlisted man of the 3d Division to mount the parapet of the enemy's line.

No comments:

Post a Comment