Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Clemson Tigers..............

I would like to take a second here to talk about Clemson football. As you well know, I am a huge Winthrop Eagle fan... but I grew up a Clemson fan. To be honest, I wouldn’t really call myself a Clemson fan anymore. I’m more of a Clemson football follower, if you will. I still cheer for them, but I’m not nearly as into Clemson football as I was back in the day. It’s funny (in a sad kind of way) but I can still remember when I stopped caring. It was September 11, 2004 and Clemson was playing Georgia Tech. The Tigers had ended the 2003 season on a high note (thanks in large part, I believe, to my friend Tony Elliott) and the ’04 season started with a win. I was all about Clemson football. Then I stayed up until after midnight to watch Clemson give the game to Georgia Tech. The next day, my sister-in-law’s Dad died (unrelated to the game... I think... he had been in the hospital for something and was going to go home when he died). [***A word about Tommy (my sister-in-law’s Dad)... I met him when I was in middle school some time after my brother started dating his daughter. I was rather tall for my age back then, but I met Tommy and thought “Good God this man is huge”. Anyway, he always treated me great. Maybe he was this way with everyone... but I like to think he treated me great because he thought I was a swell guy. It’s not like he had to be nice to me. It’s not like I was the one that was going to marry his daughter. Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe that’s why he was nice to me. But really, it’s not like I could intimidate the guy... at best, I could only hope to out run him. He was a great guy, and to be honest... I miss him.***] So, Tommy died on the 12th... and then Dach (aka, greatest dog ever... I’ve talked about him on here before) died that Monday (the 13th). After that, I just couldn’t care. I haven’t been able to care as much since. I don’t know why... I just don’t care anymore. I think in some way, I was pissed at Clemson for the way they played that game. Tommy was a big Clemson fan. What if he saw that game? The last game he ever saw and it was that?! How much would that suck? Oh well... enough of that talk.

Now let’s talk about CJ Spiller. Remember I told you here first weeks ago that this guy is fast (and good). I know some people don’t like him because of where he’s playing... but he’s still good. And he’s doing this stuff hurt. Amazing. I saw where he was voted one of their captains. I remember my friend Tony was a unanimous selection for captain his last season (2003). I always thought that might have been the highest honor for him (that I know of). I mean, he was a walk-on WR who was 4th on the list of Clemson receivers that most people wanted to talk about that year... and he was a unanimous selection. That’s respect right there.

I knew a baseball team that voted on captains (or had the coach appoint a captain) at the beginning of the year. We didn’t do that at JI. Someone (almost always a senior) just stepped up at some point. It was never something that was said out loud... it was just a case of everyone on the team looking to that guy. When I was there, Coach Hatley was teaching at Harbor View Elementary School and coaching at JI. So we would start stretching and warming up early so that when he got there we were ready to practice. The main thing the (unspoken) Captain would do is announce when it was time to get started. I remember my senior year standing out at the field thinking about who would be the one making that call that year when I noticed everyone was looking at me waiting for me to say something. That’s how it worked on that team.

I have an idea to help churches raise money... and I’ll tell it to you tomorrow. So make sure you check back tomorrow because this one is a good one.


Our post today is brought to you by Nike... with an old school Bo Knows commercial...



Cleveland Cavs update: My Cavs crushed Golden State last night 114-108. Tonight we are at Washington to play the Wizards (no, Jenn, Harry Potter doesn’t play for Washington).

Winthrop Eagles update: My Eagles are back in Rock Hill trying to figure out a way to make a jump shot in a game. I really hope they figure it out soon.

1 comment: