Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, May 14, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DG!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Edward E. Lyon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 13, 1899, at San Miguel de Mayumo, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

With 11 other scouts, without waiting for the supporting battalion to aid them or to get into position to do so, charged over a distance of about 150 yards and completely routed about 300 of the enemy, who were in line and in a position that could only be carried by a frontal attack.

Corporal Frederick A. Lyon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 19, 1864, at Cedar Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

With 1 companion, captured the flag of a Confederate regiment, 3 officers, and an ambulance with its mules and driver.

Seaman Thomas Lyons (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 24, 1862, on board the U.S.S. Pensacola. His citation reads:

Served as seaman on board the U.S.S. Pensacola in the attack on Forts Jackson and St. Philip, 24 April 1862. Carrying out his duties throughout the din and roar of the battle, Lyons never once erred in his brave performance. Lashed outside of that vessel, on the port-sheet chain, with the lead in hand to lead the ship past the forts, Lyons never flinched, although under a heavy fire from the forts and rebel gunboats.


We just wanted to take a minute to wish my good friend and Labor Day Uncle DG a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! The great thing about DG is that he likes me more than he likes Sonny and Teresa Lynn… but who can blame him? I mean, he’s never told me he likes me more than the other two, but come on… how could he not like me more? Anyway, this is about DG, not Sonny and Teresa Lynn… so I say again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DG!!!!


DG's Top 5 Books

5 - A Man Called Intrepid by William Stevensen

4 - The Teammates by David Halberstam

3 - Citizens Of London by Lynne Olsen

2 - Nothing Like It In The World by Stephen E. Ambrose

1 - Freedom's Forge by Herman Arthur





The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

186 Star Wars: Dark Force Rising by: Timothy Zahn

185 The Commanders by: Bob Woodward

184 Marley & Me by: John Grogan

183 The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes by: Larry Millett

182 The Brethren by: John Grisham
181 The Hunt For Red October by: Tom Clancy

180 Management by Proverbs: Applying Timeless Wisdom in the Workplace by: Michael Zigarelli  *Michael was the first professor I had at CSU when I started in their MBA program (he has since moved on to another school). I thought he was a great teacher and I can honestly say this was the first book that I enjoyed reading for college.  There's a lot of great info in this book and it was written in a way that won't make you fall asleep after 10 words.*

179 Star Wars: Return of The Jedi by: James Kahn 

178 Mortal Allies by: Brian Haig

177 The Servent as Leader by: Robert K. Greenleaf  *This is another great book that I had to read while I was in the MBA program.  Every leader should read it...*

176 A Body To Die For by: Kate White

175 Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D. by: Larry Millett

174 Star Wars: X-Wing Wedge's Gamble by: Michael A. Stackpole

173 Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith, and Football by: Bobby Bowden

172 Chief of Staff: Lyndon Johnson and His Presidency by: W. Marvin Watson with Sherwin Markman



Picture Tuesday

Snack time for Daniel and Mommy

A happy little boy after his nap

A sad doggy waiting for mommy to come home

Mother's Day at the park

The girls had their babies there too


Susie, Mary Ruth and Daniel playing with the hats they never wear when it's cold...


No comments:

Post a Comment