Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 24, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (63-52)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain George H. Mallon (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 26, 1918, in the Bois-de-Forges, France. His citation reads:

Becoming separated from the balance of his company because of a fog, Capt. Mallon, with 9 soldiers, pushed forward and attacked 9 active hostile machineguns, capturing all of them without the loss of a man. Continuing on through the woods, he led his men in attacking a battery of four 155-millimeter howitzers, which were in action, rushing the position and capturing the battery and its crew. In this encounter Capt. Mallon personally attacked 1 of the enemy with his fists. Later, when the party came upon 2 more machineguns, this officer sent men to the flanks while he rushed forward directly in the face of the fire and silenced the guns, being the first one of the party to reach the nest. The exceptional gallantry and determination displayed by Capt. Mallon resulted in the capture of 100 prisoners, 11 machineguns, four 155-millimeter howitzers and 1 antiaircraft gun.

First Sergeant Harry J. Mandy (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 15, 1864, at Front Royal, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 3d Virginia Infantry (C.S.A.).

Private Richard C. Mangam (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865, at Hatchers Run, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 8th Mississippi Infantry (C.S.A.).


Sonny’s Top 5 Books

5 - Men at Work by George Will

4 - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

3 - My Turn at Bat by Ted Williams

2 - The Firm by John Grisham

1 - Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

I would like to make fun of Sonny’s list, but I can’t… he’s got some quality books on here.


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

63 Fair Ball: A Fan's Case For Baseball by: Bob Costas *Jeremy told me about this book.*

62 When the Game Was Ours by: Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Jackie MacMullan *Great book about a great NBA rivalry.*

61 Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series by: Dan Wetzel *If you hate the BCS (like I do), you'll like this book.*

60 A Time of War by: Michael Peterson *This is another bargin book I got for $1. I read it in middle school… It's a great fiction book about the Vietnam War. You probably shouldn't let your kids read it until their in high school, but then again, you should also be happy if they want to read anything so maybe you should just let them read it whenever. Anyway, something I didn't realize until I just went to get the link... the guy who wrote this is the same Peterson who was convicted of killing his wife a few years ago. Still a good book, though...*

59 Harry Potter: and the Order of the Phoenix by: J. K. Rowling

58 The Cardinal of the Kremlin by: Tom Clancy

57 The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour by: James D. Hornfischer

56 Tribulation Force: The Continuing Drama of Those Left Behind by: Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins

55 Gate of Hell: Campaign for Charleston Harbor by: Stephen R. Wise *This is a great book for all of you who like to read about Charleston and the Civil War.*

54 All The King's Men by: Robert Penn Warren

53 James and Related Sea Islands by: James P. Hayes *A great look at where I come from.*

52 Harry Potter: And The Sorcerer's Stone by: J. K. Rowling


Flashback Friday
Here we have a picture of Mom and Dad's yard during the great snow storm of 1989...

A picture of the road...

The road going the other way..

The house...


Sonny and me playing football...

Teresa Lynn and me stacking wood (not really)

No comments:

Post a Comment