Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 30, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (10-6)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate William Martin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 27, 1862, on board the U.S.S. Benton. His citation reads:

Serving as boatswain's mate on board the U.S.S. Benton during the attack on Haines Bluff, Yazoo River, 27 December 1862. Taking part in the hour_and_a_half engagement with the enemy, who had the dead range of the vessel and was punishing her with heavy fire, Martin served courageously throughout the battle until the Benton was ordered to withdraw.

Seaman William Martin (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 24, 1862, on board the U.S.S. Varuna. His citation reads:

Captain of a gun on board the U.S.S. Varuna during an attack on Forts Jackson and St. Philip, 24 April 1862. His ship was taken under furious fire by the rebel Morgan and severely damaged by ramming. Steadfast at his station through the thickest of the fight, Martin inflicted damage on the enemy, remaining cool and courageous although the Varuna, so badly damaged that she was forced to beach, was finally sunk.

Corporal Benito Martinez (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 6, 1952, near Satae-ri Korea. His citation reads:

Cpl. Martinez, a machine gunner with Company A, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. While manning a listening post forward of the main line of resistance, his position was attacked by a hostile force of reinforced company strength. In the bitter fighting which ensued, the enemy infiltrated the defense perimeter and, realizing that encirclement was imminent, Cpl. Martinez elected to remain at his post in an attempt to stem the onslaught. In a daring defense, he raked the attacking troops with crippling fire, inflicting numerous casualties. Although contacted by sound power phone several times, he insisted that no attempt be made to rescue him because of the danger involved. Soon thereafter, the hostile forces rushed the emplacement, forcing him to make a limited withdrawal with only an automatic rifle and pistol to defend himself. After a courageous 6-hour stand and shortly before dawn, he called in for the last time, stating that the enemy was converging on his position His magnificent stand enabled friendly elements to reorganize, attack, and regain the key terrain. Cpl. Martinez' incredible valor and supreme sacrifice reflect lasting glory upon himself and are in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service.


So, I just saw the movie Knight and Day the other night. I thought it was pretty funny. Well worth watching.

KC’s Top 5 Books

5 - Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

4 - Othello by William Shakespeare

3 - The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 - 1984 by George Orwell

1 - On The Road by Jack Kerouac


Interesting to see that most of KC’s books were written while he was in school… What?


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

10 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by: C. S. Lewis *A GREAT book to start a wonderful series!*

9 A Civil War (Army Vs. Navy): A Year Inside College Football's Purest Rivalry by: John Feinstein *This book is one of the reasons I pull for Navy in football.*

8 Breakout: 'The Chosin Reservoir Campaign - Korea 1950 by: Martin Russ *Another must read for high school students. Excuse my language, but these guys went through some bad shit. If you are an Army person, this probably isn't a book you'll want to read. It isn't too kind to the Army (I think it was written by a Marine), but it's still a must read in my mind. It's crazy to think anyone was able to live through this stuff.*

7 We Were Soldiers Once… And Young: Ia Drang- The Battle That Changed The War In Vietnam by: Harold G. Moore and Joseph L. Galloway *The thing I said about the previous book is true for this one, too (except the focus of this one is the Army and it was written by an Army man). I have to give credit to the movie… it's one of the best movies at staying true to the book it was based on. Again, I don't know how anyone lived through this. And some of the helicopter pilots... wow! I mean... WOW!*

6 Twelve Ordinary Men: How the Master Shaped His Disciples for Greatness, and What He Wants To Do with You by: John MacArthur *This is by far the best book I've ever read that talks about the life of the disciples after what we read about them in the Bible.*


No comments:

Post a Comment