Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 9, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (261-242)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Moses A. Luce (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 10, 1864, at Laurel Hill, Virginia. His citation reads:

Voluntarily returned in the face of the advancing enemy to the assistance of a wounded and helpless comrade, and carried him, at imminent peril, to a place of safety.

Second Class Boy John Lucy (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 9, 1876, on board the U.S. Training Ship Minnesota. His citation reads:

Displayed heroic conduct while serving on board the U.S. Training Ship Minnesota on the occasion of the burning of Castle Garden at New York, 9 July 1876.

Captain William Ludgate (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 7, 1865, at Farmville, Virginia. His citation reads:

Gallantry and promptness in rallying his men and advancing with a small detachment to save a bridge about to be fired by the enemy.


My Friend Ross’ Top 5 Books

5 - Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

4 - Life of Pi by Yan Martel

2 (tie) - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

2 (tie) - Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

1 - On the Road by Jack Kerouac


Ross sent in 6 book titles for a Top 5 so I had to cut one of his books out. Still a great list of books on there. Thanks for sharing, Ross.


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

261 Patriot Games by: Tom Clancy

260 Gods and Generals by: Jeff Shaara

259 1984 by: George Orwell

258 The First 48 by: Tim Green

257 All Quiet on the Western Front by: Erich Remarque

256 The Godfather's Revenge by: Mark Winegardner  *This book was pretty good, but the one he wrote on before this one is better.*

255 Leathally Blond by: Kate White *She is one of my favorite mystery writers... her books are the kind you can relax while reading them.*

254 Death of WCW by: R.D. Reynolds *As someone who grew up watching the NWA (and, later, WCW) this was a good "behind the scenes" book.*

253 Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D. by: Larry Millett *He does a good job writing these books...*

252 Star Wars: Allegiance by: Timothy Zahn *This guy is probably the reason Star Wars made the comeback that it did.  He's at least 2nd to George Lucas.  This book wasn't the one to do it, but a trilogy he wrote years ago (that we'll see later on this list) got the ball rolling.*

251 Love and War: Part II of the Epic North and South Trilogy by: John Jakes *The made for TV mini-series was better than the books, I think... but the books are still good.*

250 The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by: A.J. Jacobs

249 Dave Barry's Homes and Other Black Holes by: Dave Barry

248 True Blue: A Tribute to Mike Krzyzewski's Career at Duke by: Dick Weiss

247 The Godfather Legacy: The Untold Story of the Making of the Classic Godfather Trilogy Featuring Never-before-Published Production Stills by: Harlan Lebo *A great behind the scenes look at the making of the wonderful trilogy.*

246 Still Roaring: Jim Phillips's Life In Broadcasting by: Jim Phillips

245 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace by: Terry Brooks  *I was in college when the book came out (shortly before the movie).  I believe I read it in a day (maybe two).  I couldn't put it down.*

244 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America: (And Al Franken is #37) by: Bernard Goldberg

243 Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball by: Bill Madden

242 Inner Circles: How America Changed The World by: Alexander Haig, Jr.  *This isn't the only Haig you'll see on this list.*




No comments:

Post a Comment