Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 2, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (396-372)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Richard M. Longfellow (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 16, 1899, near San Isidro Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

With 21 other scouts charged across a burning bridge, under heavy fire, and completely routed 600 of the enemy who were entrenched in a strongly fortified position.

Private William H. Longshore (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."

Private Joseph Lonsway (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 16, 1864, at Murfrees Station, Virginia. His citation reads:

Volunteered to swim Blackwater River to get a large flat used as a ferry on other side; succeeded in getting the boat safely across, making it possible for a detachment to cross the river and take possession of the enemy's breastworks.


I asked various friends and family members to provide me with their Top 5 books. Some were able to do this, others had trouble following the rules (really, there were only two rules… They had to be books and you could only list 5 of them). Anyway, I had to edit some lists (a series doesn’t count as one book… which is kind of what makes it a series) and completely make up one list (I’ll let you guess which one. Hint: She hates when you laugh at anything I say or write. What? Too obvious?). I’ll post the Top 5’s randomly throughout the month (though if you have a birthday this month, your list should post on that day). Let’s get things started…

Our Favorite Award Winning Nurse Jen’s Top 5 Books

5 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Rowling

4 - Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4) by Stephenie Meyer

3 - The Hunger Games (Book 1) by Suzanne Collins

2 - The Giver by Lois Lowry

1 - To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

A very solid list right there... Thank you to Jen for sharing it with us.


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

396 Star Wars: X-Wing Solo Command by: Aaron Allston

395 Sein Language by: Jerry Seinfeld

394 Politically Correct Parables by: Robert Walker

393 Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs by: Dave Barry *Honestly, Dave Barry brings me to tears from laughing so hard.  I can't read his books at work because I laugh too hard.*

392 Red Storm Rising by: Tom Clancy

391 Star Wars: Splinter of the Mind's Eye by: Alan Dean Foster  *I think this was the first non-movie Star Wars book.

390 Fault Lines by: Anna Salter

389 John by: Cynthia Lennon

388 Flags of Our Fathers by: James Bradley

387 CW2 by: Layne Heath

386 Ball Four by: Jim Bouton

385 The Final Days: Behind-The-Scenes Account of Richard Nixon's Dramatic Last Days in the White House by: Bob Woodward  *I know that we're on different sides on a lot of issues, but I really like Woodward's books.*

384 Charleston's Navy Yard: a picture history by: Jim McNeil

383 Roosevelt's Secret War: FDR and WWII Espionage by: Joseph Persico

382 Special Men: A LRP's Recollections by: Dennis Foley

381 Childhood's End by: Arthur Clarke *I think this is a book I read in school at some point.*

380 Jerusalem 1913: The Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict by: Amy Marcus

379 Firebirds: A Harrowing Firsthand Account Of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam by: Chuck Carlock  *While I am no expert, I believe helicopter pilots in Vietnam were crazy.  Maybe it's true for helicopter pilots in every war, but they had to be crazy in that one.  And I'm talking good crazy.*

378 The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court by: Bob Woodward 

377 Arn Anderson 4 Ever: A Look Behind the Curtain by: Arn Anderson *One of my favorite wrestler's ever.  It was fun watching him work.*

376 The Great Triumvirate: Webster, Clay, and Calhoun by: Merrill Peterson

375 Lee and Jackson: Confederate Chieftains by: Paul Casdorph

374 Waylon: An Autobiography by: Waylon Jennings *I remember reading this book in college... I was reading it when news broke that Waylon Jenning had died.*

373 For You, Hank: The Story of Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble by: Bo Kimble

372 A Pirate Looks At Fifty by: Jimmy Buffett

No comments:

Post a Comment