Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, November 26, 2009

Clemson/USC 1977/1992

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

There are a lot of things that I have to be thankful for. The best is that life is so good for me that I can talk all week on this blog about the football game coming up this Saturday. So with that, let’s go down memory lane...

Clemson: November 19, 1977. Two words… The. Catch. Coach Charley Pell took his Clemson Tigers down to Columbia to battle Coach Jim Carlen’s USC Gamecocks. The Tigers came in as the favorite with a #15 ranking. The Gamecocks weren’t about to just roll over for the Tigers, however. Late in the 4th quarter the Tigers found themselves behind with time running out. I think you know what happened next. With 49 seconds left in the game, Clemson QB Steve Fuller dropped back and launched a 20 yard pass over the head of WR Jerry Butler... BUT WAIT! Butler dives BACKWARDS AND CATCHES THE PASS to give the Tigers a 31-27 victory! The Tigers would go on to lose to Pitt in the Gator Bowl ending their season with an 8-3-1 ranking (4-1-1 in the ACC). The Tigers ended the season ranked #19 in the AP poll. The Gamecocks season ended the next week on the road at Hawaii giving them a 5-7 record for the year.


USC: November 21, 1992… 2 words… Steve. Tannyhill. This was a big year for USC. After going 6-5 in 1990 (including a loss to The Citadel) and going 3-6-2 in 1991 (including ties with Duke and Louisiana Tech and a loss to East Carolina) the Gamecocks earned a bid to join the mighty SEC in 1992. Coach Sparky Woods and his Gamecocks got off to a slow start in 1992 with 5 straight losses (damn that East Carolina) but after Freshman QB Steve Tannyhill led a player revolt USC got things turned around winning 4 of their next 5 to set up this game. The Gamecocks were also out for a little revenge as they had not beaten the Tigers in four years (making Levon Kirkland and Kevin Horres undefeated against the Gamecocks... not that Kevin played... he wasn’t even on the team... but he was at Clemson at that time and this is probably the only time he’ll ever see his name listed with Levon Kirkland so I figured I’d throw my big brother a bone). Anyway, the Gamecocks were ticked off and they weren’t going to take it anymore. As an added bonus, they had a chance to hand Clemson its first losing season in a long time. The game was in Death Valley and the Gamecocks took it to the Tigers. USC won the game 24-13 with Steve Tannyhill “signing” his name on the Tiger Paw in the middle of the field making him at once the most loved and most hated person in the state. The win gave USC a final record of 5-6 (3-5 in the SEC). The Tigers ended their year with a final record of 5-6 (3-5 in the ACC).

Ok, I couldn’t find a video of this game... so I decided to give my Gamecock friends something to laugh at. Watch this video...


Oh, I’m also thankful for something like this...


Cleveland Cavs update: The Cavs beat the Pistons 98-88 last night. Their next game is Friday at Charlotte.

Winthrop Eagles update: The Eagles are off today so that the players and coaches can spend time with their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment