Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, January 24, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Henry G. Costin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 8, 1918 near Bois-de-Consenvoye, France. His citation reads:

When the advance of his platoon had been held up by machinegun fire and a request was made for an automatic rifle team to charge the nest, Pvt. Costin was the first to volunteer. Advancing with his team, under terrific fire of enemy artillery, machineguns, and trench mortars, he continued after all his comrades had become casualties and he himself had been seriously wounded. He operated his rifle until he collapsed. His act resulted in the capture of about 100 prisoners and several machineguns. He succumbed from the effects of his wounds shortly after the accomplishment of his heroic deed.

Ordinary Seaman Peter Cotton (US Navy) received his first Medal of Honor for his actions on December 23-27, 1862 on board the USS Baron De Kalb. His citation reads:

Cotton served on board the U.S.S. Baron De Kalb in the Yazoo River expedition, 23 to 27 December 1862. Proceeding under orders up the Yazoo River, the Baron De Kalb, with the object of capturing or destroying the enemy's transports, came upon the steamers John Walsh, R. J. Locklan, Golden Age and the Scotland, sunk on a bar where they were ordered to be burned. Continuing up the river, the Baron De Kalb was fired upon but, upon returning the fire, caused the enemy's retreat. Returning down the Yazoo, she destroyed and captured large quantities of enemy equipment and several prisoners. Serving bravely throughout this action, Cotton, as coxswain "distinguished himself in the various actions."

Lieutenant Colonel John Coughlin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 9, 1864 at Swifts Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

During a sudden night attack upon Burnham's Brigade, resulting in much confusion, this officer, without waiting for orders, led his regiment forward and interposed a line of battle between the advancing enemy and Hunt's Battery, repulsing the attack and saving the guns.


We’d like to start today by wishing my Mom a very Happy Birthday! As her youngest and, perhaps, most loved child I feel I can speak for my deadbeat brother and sister when I say that we love Mom very much and hope she has a great day. I believe Mom turns 66 today, but I could have those numbers backwards. I’m sure No-Name Teri and Sonny will both call Mom before me in some sorry attempt to try and “one-up” their little brother. While Mom will probably appreciate the effort, I am confident she will see through their hollow gestures… because she knows that the best birthday gift is a “Happy Birthday” on I’m just sayin… and having her favorite singer in the family (Maverick) sing Happy Birthday to her.

RIP Mr. Williams. On this date a year ago, Mr. Bill Williams passed away. He was a great guy who loved “his boys” (i.e. anyone who played or coached baseball for West Ashley Post 147). He was a WWII Vet who weighed maybe 100 pounds (1/3 glasses, 1/3 tobacco, 1/3 heart). The program has continued without him… but it has never been the same. My hope is that he knew how much he was loved. Teenage boys aren’t always good at showing appreciation… but my guess is that if you were to talk to any old Post 147 players, they would have at least one “Mr. Williams” story to tell… and they would all tell you he loved his boys. They would also probably tell you that they were shocked to find out he was only in his 80’s when he died. I thought he was in his 80’s when I played in the late 1990’s… Sonny thought he was in his 80’s when he played back in the mid to late 1980’s! I won’t say he was a perfect man, but I do think he was a great man. I think the world could use a few more men like Mr. Williams.

I know it’s Picture Day… but we’re going to also include videos from time to time. This will be one of those times. Just to warn you, the video quality is not what I would call good… but it’s the best I’ve got.  The video today is a two for one video.  I'm still getting the hang of YouTube and it seems I combined the two videos I uploaded into one video.  It wasn't what I was trying to do, but I'll take it.


I’m just sayin… Picture Day

We're trying to teach Susie how to feed Daniel... It's time for her to start helping out around here.

Looks like we found a use for Scooby...
 
This is a little something I cooked up for Susie last Friday night when I had her and Daniel by myself.  This is a little number I like to call PB&J with Blueberries
I can only do so much when it comes to fixing food for the kids... After making that masterpiece for Susie, I told Daniel he had to find his own food.  Looks like the dogs didn't get to eat that night...


No comments:

Post a Comment