Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Money

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Samuel S. Coursen (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 12, 1950 near Kaesong, Korea. His citation reads:

1st Lt. Coursen distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. While Company C was attacking Hill 174 under heavy enemy small-arms fire, his platoon received enemy fire from close range. The platoon returned the fire and continued to advance. During this phase 1 his men moved into a well-camouflaged emplacement, which was thought to be unoccupied, and was wounded by the enemy who were hidden within the emplacement. Seeing the soldier in difficulty he rushed to the man's aid and, without regard for his personal safety, engaged the enemy in hand-to-hand combat in an effort to protect his wounded comrade until he himself was killed. When his body was recovered after the battle 7 enemy dead were found in the emplacement. As the result of 1st Lt. Coursen's violent struggle several of the enemies' heads had been crushed with his rifle. His aggressive and intrepid actions saved the life of the wounded man, eliminated the main position of the enemy roadblock, and greatly inspired the men in his command. 1st Lt. Coursen's extraordinary heroism and intrepidity reflect the highest credit on himself and are in keeping with the honored traditions of the military service.

Seaman Henry C. Courtney (US Navy) received his first Medal of Honor for his actions on February 1882 on board the US Training Ship Portsmouth. His citation reads:

On board the U.S. Training Ship Portsmouth, Washington Navy Yard, 7 February 1882. Jumping overboard from that vessel, Courtney assisted in rescuing Charles Taliaferro, jack-of-the-dust, from drowning.

Major Henry Alexius Courtney, Jr. (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 14-15, 1945 on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Executive Officer of the 2d Battalion, 22d Marines, 6th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Islands, 14 and 15 May 1945. Ordered to hold for the night in static defense behind Sugar Loaf Hill after leading the forward elements of his command in a prolonged fire fight, Maj. Courtney weighed the effect of a hostile night counterattack against the tactical value of an immediate marine assault, resolved to initiate the assault, and promptly obtained permission to advance and seize the forward slope of the hill. Quickly explaining the situation to his small remaining force, he declared his personal intention of moving forward and then proceeded on his way, boldly blasting nearby cave positions and neutralizing enemy guns as he went. Inspired by his courage, every man followed without hesitation, and together the intrepid marines braved a terrific concentration of Japanese gunfire to skirt the hill on the right and reach the reverse slope. Temporarily halting, Maj. Courtney sent guides to the rear for more ammunition and possible replacements. Subsequently reinforced by 26 men and an LVT load of grenades, he determined to storm the crest of the hill and crush any planned counterattack before it could gain sufficient momentum to effect a breakthrough. Leading his men by example rather than by command, he pushed ahead with unrelenting aggressiveness, hurling grenades into cave openings on the slope with devastating effect. Upon reaching the crest and observing large numbers of Japanese forming for action less than 100 yards away, he instantly attacked, waged a furious battle and succeeded in killing many of the enemy and in forcing the remainder to take cover in the caves. Determined to hold, he ordered his men to dig in and, coolly disregarding the continuous hail of flying enemy shrapnel to rally his weary troops, tirelessly aided casualties and assigned his men to more advantageous positions. Although instantly killed by a hostile mortar burst while moving among his men, Maj. Courtney, by his astute military acumen, indomitable leadership and decisive action in the face of overwhelming odds, had contributed essentially to the success of the Okinawa campaign. His great personal valor throughout sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.


I find it funny that people try to use Mitt Romney’s wealth against him. In just about any other profession, it would be considered a plus. I’m not saying being rich would make him a good President… I’m just sayin I think it’s funny when people act like it’s a negative. It’s really funny when it’s other politicians saying that. Raise your hand if you think anyone running for President is poor. Maybe there was a time when someone poor or from the middle class could run for President… but I can’t think of anyone in my lifetime to do it. I’m talking about Republicans and Democrats. So I see yesterday that Romney has released his taxes. People have been all over him to do this. My advice to the other politicians doing this it to be careful… you know the old saying about throwing stones when you live in a glass house. I can’t be the only one who remembers the trouble our current President had filling his cabinet because person after person had to drop out because… well… they hadn’t been paying their taxes. Anyway, from the info I got from Yahoo, it seems over the past two years Romney has made about $42 million. He’s paid about $6.2 million in taxes. Many people will say he didn’t pay a lot of taxes because that’s not a large % of his income. I think $6.2 is a lot. That’s a lot more money than I’ll ever pay in taxes. Over the past two years he’s also donated about $7 million. Again, some will say that’s not a lot… but I don’t care how much you make, a million dollars is a million dollars and seven million dollars is a lot of money. I bet the people who received that money were happy. I’d be happy if he’d donate to my Memory Walk this year.

Since it seems having a lot of money is considered a bad thing for people running for office, I have decided two things. First, I’d like to tell Mom and Dad that Sonny and No-Name Teri both have dreams of running for office. I don’t. Therefore, to help them reach their dreams I will accept the burden of inheriting all of Mom and Dad’s wealth when they pass away. It’s the least I can do. Second, I have decided I will not leave any money to my children when I die. I would hate to think that my riches would somehow hurt them as they try to run for public office.

I really like the below quote. JFK is another person who some consider a saint… while others consider him the devil. Again, I think he was somewhere in between. I believe, for the most part, that the below quote is a good guideline for US foreign policy.


The I’m just sayin… Quote of the Week

“Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty”. – John F. Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment