Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Terrific Kid and Singing Dog

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private William W. Cranston (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 2, 1863 at Chancellorsville, Virginia. His citation reads:

One of a party of 4 who voluntarily brought in a wounded Confederate officer from within the enemy's line in the face of a constant fire.

Colonel Demas T. Craw (US Army) received his first Medal of Honor for his actions on November 8, 1942 near Port Lyautey, French Morocco. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action above and beyond the call of duty. On 8 November 1942, near Port Lyautey, French Morocco, Col. Craw volunteered to accompany the leading wave of assault boats to the shore and pass through the enemy lines to locate the French commander with a view to suspending hostilities. This request was first refused as being too dangerous but upon the officer's ins1stence that he was qualified to undertake and accomplish the mission he was allowed to go. Encountering heavy fire while in the landing boat and unable to dock in the river because of shell fire from shore batteries, Col. Craw, accompanied by 1 officer and 1 soldier, succeeded in landing on the beach at Mehdia Plage under constant low-level strafing from 3 enemy planes. Riding in a bantam truck toward French headquarters, progress of the party was hindered by fire from our own naval guns. Nearing Port Lyautey, Col. Craw was instantly killed by a sustained burst of machinegun fire at pointblank range from a concealed position near the road.

Fireman Alexander Crawford (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 25, 1864 on board the USS Wyalusing. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Wyalusing, Crawford volunteered 25 May 1864, in a night attempt to destroy the rebel ram Albemarle in the Roanoke River. Taking part in a plan to explode the rebel ram Albemarle, Crawford executed his part in the plan with perfection, but upon being discovered, was forced to abandon the plan and retire leaving no trace of the evidence. After spending two hazardous days and nights without food, he gained the safety of a friendly ship and was then transferred back to the Wyalusing. Though the plan failed his skill and courage in preventing detection were an example of unfailing devotion to duty.



One of the “things” we sometimes do in our house is call people (usually family members) on their birthday to sing to them. This is usually done so they can have Maverick sing to them… the rest of us are just back-up singers. Mom has gone so far as to request that we not call to sing to her on her birthday unless Maverick is with us. This year, I decided to video us singing to Mom (“Nana”) and post it on here. Also, Mary Ruth was selected by her teacher as the “Terrific Kid” for January for her class. They had a little awards ceremony at her school on Friday and below are some pics of it.


Picture Tuesday


Something is missing...

The Wife and Mary Ruth after MR got her award


Me and Mary Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment