Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, July 14, 2016

Sleepovers

Join Team I’m just sayin… in our Walk to End Alzheimer’s! If you would like to join or donate, just click on the Walk to End Alzheimer’s button above this post (if you are on your computer). Or, if you’re on your phone click here.


Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boilermaker August Wilson (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1897, on board the U.S.S. Puritan. His citation reads:

For gallant conduct while serving on board the U.S.S. Puritan and at the time of the collapse of one of the crown sheets of boiler E on that vessel, 1 July 1897. Wrapping wet cloths about his face and arms, Wilson entered the fireroom and opened the safety valve, thus removing the danger of disabling the other boilers.

Private Benjamin Wilson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 5, 1870, at Wichita River, Texas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

First Lieutenant Benjamin F. Wilson (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 5, 1951, near Hwach'on-Myon, Korea. His citation reads:

1st Lt. Wilson distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. Company I was committed to attack and secure commanding terrain stubbornly defended by a numerically superior hostile force emplaced in well-fortified positions. When the spearheading element was pinned down by withering hostile fire, he dashed forward and, firing his rifle and throwing grenades, neutralized the position denying the advance and killed 4 enemy soldiers manning submachineguns. After the assault platoon moved up, occupied the position, and a base of fire was established, he led a bayonet attack which reduced the objective and killed approximately 27 hostile soldiers. While friendly forces were consolidating the newly won gain, the enemy launched a counterattack and 1st Lt. Wilson, realizing the imminent threat of being overrun, made a determined lone-man charge, killing 7 and wounding 2 of the enemy, and routing the remainder in disorder. After the position was organized, he led an assault carrying to approximately 15 yards of the final objective, when enemy fire halted the advance. He ordered the platoon to withdraw and, although painfully wounded in this action, remained to provide covering fire. During an ensuing counterattack, the commanding officer and 1st Platoon leader became casualties. Unhesitatingly, 1st Lt. Wilson charged the enemy ranks and fought valiantly, killing 3 enemy soldiers with his rifle before it was wrested from his hands, and annihilating 4 others with his entrenching tool. His courageous delaying action enabled his comrades to reorganize and effect an orderly withdrawal. While directing evacuation of the wounded, he suffered a second wound, but elected to remain on the position until assured that all of the men had reached safety. 1st Lt. Wilson's sustained valor and intrepid actions reflect utmost credit upon himself and uphold the honored traditions of the military service.


Today’s Pic


Aunt Yvonne with her favorite child and Susan...


I didn’t participate in many sleepovers when I was growing up. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I slept at a friend’s house and I’m not sure I ever had a friend sleep at my house. Maybe I did, but it wasn’t common enough for me to remember. I did, however, spend the night a good bit at Aunt Yvonne and Uncle George’s house (as well as MaMa and Da’s house and Granny’s house [which was really Aunt Sister’s house]/apartment). Of course, there was also usually a week each summer that would find me at Uncle Keith and Aunt JoJo’s house. And then there was that one summer I spent a week in Georgia with Jim and Deeny working out in the fields from sunup to sundown (before Georgia passed Child Labor laws). I have good memories of all of these… well… most of these, that I will probably share over the next few weeks. Today, however, I’d like to share a specific memory of spending the night at Aunt Yvonne and Uncle George’s house. I don’t remember how old I was at the time of this memory, but I would guess still pretty young (8 or 9?). At that age, Louis and I would sleep on the sofa-sleeper they had whenever I’d spend the night. One thing we liked to do at bed time, was get in the sofa with our pillows and act like we were in a fort. It was fun… and usually we’d climb back up and get on the mattress when we were ready to sleep. One time, though, I remember we fell asleep in the sofa… so that when Aunt Yvonne looked in the room, she didn’t see us. I’m not sure how long it took her to find us, but I do remember her telling us Uncle George had to pull us out while we were sleeping and it wasn’t an easy thing for him to do. We may have been a little younger than 8, I’m not sure. I just remember we were small enough at the time for both of us to fit in there. And I remember it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment