Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, October 5, 2009

Poor Green Wave....

As you are aware, it has taken less than a month for my blog to become very powerful. It was here that I talked about fighting in high school athletics and how the South Carolina High School League shouldn’t over-react to it. There had been talk after the Summerville/Stratford fight that both teams might be put on probation (which would keep both teams out of the playoffs) and have kids suspended for the rest of the season. I thought this would be excessive. I said that the players involved should be suspended for a game or two and everyone should move on. The SCHSL, for the most part, listened to me. They put both teams on double secret probation (i.e. gave them a warning) and suspended some of the players (I think the longest suspension is for 3 games). I thought that was as fair as you could expect from the SCHSL. It seems Summerville’s coach does not agree.

Listen, I know the great Coach McKissick has won more high school football games than I’ll ever watch. I’m sure he has earned the right to be wrong or live in whatever fantasy world he lives in. But I couldn’t help but laugh out loud when I read his reaction to the discipline handed down by the SCHSL. (NOTE: I’m not making this up... had I made it up, I would have been pretty close... but I’m not making this up):

“I though what the High School League did was unfair,” McKissick said. “The crime didn’t fit the punishment. It was just some pushing and shoving that lasted less than a minute after the game.”

I can only assume he said the first part with a straight face. Listen, I didn’t time the thing. Maybe he’s right. Maybe it did only last a minute. But to have him say that the punishment was unfair is just funny. Then again, maybe he is right. After all, if it had been West Ashley and Goose Creek players “pushing and shoving” for “less than a minute after the game” both of those teams probably would be on probation (the real kind... not the kind a Coach McKissick team gets). I looked to see if the Stratford coach had any reaction to the punishment. I have not been able to find anything. Maybe he wasn’t asked about it. Or maybe he didn’t want to give his real reaction (“Thank God it happened against Summerville, because if it had happened against anyone else we could kiss the playoffs goodbye!”). Come on Coach. Use it as a positive learning experience and move on.


Hey, remember years ago when Ken Griffey, Sr. and Ken Griffey, Jr. played in the major leagues together? Remember how everyone thought it was a big deal having a dad and son playing together? People in Summerville weren’t impressed. They had already seen that happen on their high school football team 3 different times. HA! I don’t care who you are, that’s funny. Ok, I’m done.

No comments:

Post a Comment