Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, October 3, 2009

Talkin Baseball...

If you are looking for a fun activity on a Saturday morning, go watch a baseball game. For the next 5 Saturdays in Summerville you can go watch Summerville Miracle League baseball games (two games each day… one at 9:30am and one at 10:45am). You may remember one of my rules for sports is that there are winners and losers… not everyone can be a winner. Like all good rules, this one has an exception and that exception is the Miracle League. I challenge you to go to one of these games and not smile. I went to my first game today. The Wife has been trying to get me out to a game since they started playing here in Summerville. I’ve always had reasons not to go, but I decided today there would be no excuses. Let me just say, “WOW”. It is amazing the amount of time and money that has gone into the Summerville Miracle League, but ask anyone and they’ll tell you it’s been worth it. Just seeing the faces of the kids who are getting to play the greatest game of all hit the ball and run around the bases is fantastic. It’s also special to see the look on a mom or dad’s face as they watch their boy or girl playing baseball.

The thing is, a lot of time is usually spent talking about what special needs children can’t do. But for about 1 hour on a few Saturday’s out of the year, baseball does what it was designed to do in its purist form… offer an escape. For that time, parents don’t have to think about what exercise they need to work on with their child or what meeting they have to go to at school to make sure their child is treated fairly. Instead… for that time, no matter how brief it might be, time seems to stop and parents can see something every parent should get to see… their child having fun. And fun is what the Miracle League is all about. Just go watch and you’ll see that the fans have fun, the umpires have fun, the coaches have fun, the volunteers have fun, the parents have fun, players have fun… and everyone is a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment