Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thoughts while waiting for a baby....

Let me start today by congratulating President Obama for winning the Nobel Peace Prize. As the First Runner-Up for this award, I feel I should let everyone know that I’m not bitter that I didn’t win. This really makes me feel like I have a good chance of winning next year.

So I’m thinking The Devil Went Down To Georgia might be the best song ever. Ok, there are a lot of songs that can be thrown into that mix. But let me make a case for this song. First let’s start with the title. That alone tells me two things: 1. The Devil came from somewhere up north (like New York) and 2. He’s not in South Carolina. More importantly, this is a song (perhaps the only song) that can make you play the air fiddle. Think about that.

A man on Fripp Island had his arm torn off by an alligator. How did this happen? Seems the man was reaching to get his golf ball out of a water hazard at a golf course down there. When I started playing golf a few years ago, I made a promise to myself… I said, “Winfield” (I call myself by my middle name, by the way)… anyway, I said, “Winfield, don’t ever spend so much on a golf ball that you feel like you can’t afford to lose it”. I bet this man wishes he’d made the same promise.

What’s the deal with Thank You notes? In general, I don’t think people should send them. Ok, I can understand sending them for graduation and wedding gifts. After all, you don’t always open those gifts with the giver there. The Thank You note is more of a way to let them know you got what they gave you. Using that logic, I guess I can see also sending them for birthday gifts that were mailed. But if I’m at your birthday party and you open my gift and tell me thank you… there’s no need to send a card. And really, most Thank You notes that are sent for graduation or wedding gifts are just form notes that say more than they should (like, “I’ll always think of you when I use _______”… what a bunch of crap. They should just say something like, “I got your gift. Thanks”). I think I might start including pre-written Thank You notes with every gift I give. That way, the person just needs to sign their name and then mail it back to me.

Having said that, I know there are people who think you need to send Thank You notes for everything. That’s ok… it’s their time and money. They can do what they want. I just don’t want people to think they need to send Thank You notes to me.


Great News! James Island covered the point spread last night against Summerville, only falling 56-21. Looks like I nailed that one.

The Wife had contractions last night. Thought it might be the real deal. They started coming close enough together that we sent Mary Ruth to spend the night with her Godparents. But then the contractions stopped. I think there is a good chance the baby will come at some point today. Why do I think this? Well….

Jeremy was able to get his hands on some tickets to the Cavs/Bobcats game tonight in North Charleston (I don’t know how… I didn’t ask… that way I won’t have to lie under oath). So I’m planning on going to what will be my first (and most likely last) NBA game. It’s free, so the chances are pretty good that it will be fun. Sure, it’s the NBA and the only two players I know might not play… but it’s free. Now excuse me while I practice my Eddie Murphy from Coming to America (“In da face!”).

No comments:

Post a Comment