Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, October 4, 2009

Thoughts from the Auditorium Seat…

I went to a new church today (Ashley Ridge Church, A United Methodist Family). It’s a church that I’m starting. Well, I’m not starting it… but I am a consultant for it (well, not really an official consultant… but I do email ideas on a regular [constant] basis). Anyway, it’s a new (yet awesome) church that meets in the auditorium at Ashley Ridge High School (which is why these thoughts are from the auditorium seat and not the pew).

An interesting research study would be to see how many Christians spend more money on their favorite college athletic team than they give to their church. The past few years I’ve given more to church… but before that I probably spent more on Winthrop Basketball. It would be an interesting study…

How many Christians will drive 2 (or 3… or 4) hours, sit out in the hot sun (or freezing rain) for hours to watch a football game, then spend about an hour sitting in traffic before driving 2 (or 3… or 4) hours home… but don’t attend church on a regular basis because they don’t have enough time?

How many Christians can be at a sporting event for 2-3 hours, but almost fall apart if the church service lasts one hour and five minutes? Ok, I have to admit that this question made me laugh when I thought of it. It made me laugh because this is me. I have no problem at all watching a game for 2-3 hours, but once the church service approaches the one hour mark I start to panic and think things like “What if something happened to the preacher and he (or she) just keeps talking and never stops? How long do I have to wait before I can just get up and leave even if he (or she) is still talking? Really if he (or she) had this much to say, we shouldn’t have had so many songs! Oh God, I’m so hungry. I’m going to die in this pew!” And that’s just what goes through my mind as the service gets close to the one hour mark. If the service goes over by 5 minutes I start to sweat and my thoughts become gibberish. How sad is that? And to make things worse, the 2-3 hours for the sporting event can happen multiple times in a week. So, I can spend anywhere from 2-6 hours a week to support sporting programs that, in all honesty, don’t really care about me… but then struggle to spend more than an hour worshiping God. Ouch.

How many Christians will give their heart and soul to their favorite sports team, but hold back a little when it comes to worshiping God?

Question: Faith+Hope+Love =?
Answer: The feelings a fan feels for their favorite sports team.

And perhaps my favorite question… How many Christians pray most of their prayers while watching sports?

Just a little something to think about…….

No comments:

Post a Comment